Submitting a url as a lesson assignment U2L4

This unit has a mini project web page as lesson #4. I would like my students to submit this through a URL in Canvas. However, there is no share link for the student here. Can this be done?

I just looked and it appears that sharing is not an option on the mini-projects, unfortunately. You could submit a request to support@code.org to see if that is something they would consider adding to the mini-projects.

I use canvas and I typically have students submit URLs through canvas as well, so it would be useful to me if that were possible.

Mike

Hi @laurenlu.davis,

As a workaround for having the kids submit a link, you can see their responses to each level in the Teacher Dashboard:

• Go to your Code.org Teacher Dashboard
  • Click on the relevant section of students
  • Select the course or unit (in this case, CSD 2020 / Unit 2)
  • Click on Lesson 4 to expand the view
  • Click on each student’s individual bubble for bubble 5.

You’ll have to go through each submission individually but that is a workaround.

Hope that helps!
–Michael K.

You can also have students submit screenshots of their work.

1 Like

This is very time consuming - it requires going back and forth between code.org and Canvas. In this pandemic-virtual era, time is precious. Anything to make grading simpler and more efficient would be greatly appreciated.

When I look at U2L4 bubble 5, I see a Share button in the upper left corner. Students will only see this if sharing is turned on for the class. If students are permitted to share their URLs then it wouldn’t be a big deal for them to turn their URLs in to Canvas. The time consuming part would be opening the code for each one. I would probably use the teacher view for bubble 5 and look through each student’s work. It’s not a speedy process, but it beats opening the URL, then opening the code separately. I agree, every minute wasted is one that could be spent on other work or with family.

1 Like

I have close to 90 students - it is VERY time consuming.

Sometimes, on shorter projects, I have them submit a screenshot of their code. I can’t remember if that lesson has a lot of code and it depends on what computers they are using as to how to create a screenshot, but I know that would be easier to grade in Canvas. Hopefully, code.org will add the share button to those mini projects…

Mike

Yes. But submitting the url on the mini projects I can see what I need To without going to code.org. I can grade right there they canvas and send feedback.

This way I don’t have to look at code.org then manually enter the grade. Saves time

Yes, that’s correct. Screenshots work for me the same way as long as the screenshot captures all I need to see. If it’s a longer project, it doesn’t work as well.

Mike

@laurenlu.davis Turns out that this may have been an oversight. I bubbled it up to some folks at code.org and they said this is something they noticed in unit 3, but not unit 2 yet and that they will be able to shortly add the share link to this mini-project and others in unit 2. Sorry it wasn’t ready from the beginning, but looks like you calling attention to it will get it fixed in the near future.

Mike

Hi Folks!

Just wanted to check-in an highlight what edavis said above - “When I look at U2L4 bubble 5, I see a Share button in the upper left corner. Students will only see this if sharing is turned on for the class.”

@laurenlu.davis - this should allow you to have students share the link & submit on Canvas (and more broadly, if students are proud of their work and would like to share) without having to log into Code Studio. If you don’t see that button, (1) confirm you’re on the last level of the mini-project (you won’t see the Share button on level 4, but you will on Level 5), and (2) verify you’ve enabled your sections to share their code (More info here).

Cheers,
Dan - Code Curriculum Writer