Teaching Computer Science: Your Plans

Continuing the discussion from Teaching Computer Science: Your Plans:

• What are your goals for your classroom? How will CS or code.org resources help you meet those goals? I can see my school using this in the STREAM lab. Hopefully we will have a computer teacher that can help set us all up!
  • What are you most excited about when it comes to implementing some of these resources? I am most excited how much I think my kids will love to code!
  • What challenges do you forsee in trying to meet your goals? Time and having enough devices to use.
  • What questions do you have that this community might help you answer? As a classroom teacher do you have any pointers for a K teacher that only has 6 chromebooks? How do you have time for class lessons and shared computers with the rest of your curriculum?
  • What are your goals for your classroom? How will CS or code.org resources help you meet those goals? I am hoping to use code.org during our STREAM time. We do STREAM time in our first grade classrooms 2 times per week.
  • What are you most excited about when it comes to implementing some of these resources? I am most excited to see how my kids will react to coding in the classroom!
  • What challenges do you foresee in trying to meet your goals? Having enough time in my day and enough devices (our school is not 1:1 yet) for all students to be successful.
  • What questions do you have that this community might help you answer? I can’t think of any questions right now.

This will be my first time with coding. I hope to be able to have all of my students use the computers in the classroom for this. I think it will really be great for them and their critical thinking skills and will help them perform better in their scores and to become better learners.

I’m not in a regular classroom, but I will assist teachers in using code.org in any way possible. I’m most excited to implement the resources and share them with teachers having problems or facing issues with CS. The challenge I see in this COVID-19 environment is having students not being able to work together and frustration levels running high. My question to the community would be how do you keep students engaged and what types of incentives are teachers using to get students to complete the lessons.

Hello! I am excited to begin teaching Coding and Computer Science topics to my 3rd-5th grade students. Our students have not had the chance to learn about the things that make a computer program work so this will be exciting for them to experience!

From the training I went to, an important “ah, ha moment” is that I probably need to go back a level since my 4th graders have little coding experience and no experience with direct instruction about terminology and concepts. I think I am going to use Course D before state testing and move to Course E after state testing.

I have used this program with the use of the computer lab off my Media Center. I will no longer have that lab, but I will have laptops (Chromebooks) to use. I want to do more Paired programming in my courses, but leave the students assigned to a course by grade as I have done in the past. That way they can always choose to do more than we get to in class.

I believe the challenge of not having a lab will affect our work, but I hope to utilize the presentation possiblities and have more students leading the way in some of the lessons.

I really like how even if students are new to our school, they seem able to handle these courses at whatever grade level they enter no matter the time of the year they join us!

I don’t really have community questions, but I am happy to know there is this place to go to read ideas and get answers!

This will be my first time teaching coding. I will be teaching 6th grade computer science, and code.org will be one integral part of my teaching. I am excited by all the lesson plans that code.org already has in place that will allow me to do unplugged activities first to help my students understand the online activities.
My biggest challenge that I foresee is that I have a few students who are already advanced in the area of coding. Keeping them engaged and moving forward by differentiating goals for them will be a bit challenging.

*** ¿Cuáles son tus objetivos para tu clase? ¿Cómo te ayudarán los recursos de Ciencias de la Computación o code.org a alcanzar esos objetivos?**

• Primero, los objetivos para mi clase es aprender a programar en un principio de forma desconectada, es decir con actividades practicas sin necesidad de utilizar el computador, esto con el fin de que los estudiantes aprendan a resolver problemas en distintas áreas del aprendizaje o incluso de la vida cotidiana. Posterior a eso las estrategias aprendidas se puede abordar en el aprendizaje de la computación, abordando todo lo aprendido en code.org.

*** ¿Qué es lo que más te entusiasma cuando se trata de implementar algunos de estos recursos?**
La diversidad de habilidades que los estudiantes pueden desarrollar, ya que como lo dije en la pregunta anterior, esto no solamente sirve en el ámbito de computación, sino también en la vida cotidiana.

*** ¿Qué desafíos prevés al tratar de alcanzar tus objetivos?**

• Trabajar en equipo.
  • Solucionar problemas paso a paso.
  • El desarrollo de distintas habilidades.
  • ¿Cuáles son tus objetivos para tu clase?

Motivar a mis estudiantes, acercarlos a la programación.
¿Cómo te ayudarán los recursos de Ciencias de la Computación o code.org a alcanzar esos objetivos?
Me ayudaran a aprender lo que me falta y orientarme en las planificaciones y actividades.

• ¿Qué es lo que más te entusiasma cuando se trata de implementar algunos de estos recursos?
    Lo entretenidos y motivadores que son.
  • ¿Qué desafíos prevés al tratar de alcanzar tus objetivos?
    El acceso a internet y lograr avanzar de forma online con los objetivos.
  • ¿Qué preguntas tienes que esta comunidad podría ayudarte a responder?
    Me gustaría conocer de sus experiencias en diversos contextos.