U1 Day 10: PD Discussion Topic

I’m excited about engaging students who are visually/artistically inclined. This lesson seems to be centered around design and I think that that will engage a lot of students.

I’m really looking forward to showing students how different entry points (text, image of text, or image) can tell very different stories. I was surprised myself by this lesson when I did it in the PD, so I really think my students will be blown away at the differences each group comes up with. I love the cooperative nature of this lesson - how groups need to work together to tell the full story. I also think it’s important to discuss how our prior knowledge impacts our perception of a story or person. I’m sure many of them have had experience with someone making assumptions about who they are that they would share with the class.

I’m looking forward to students discovering how different data represented in different ways can have both advantages and disadvantages. Due to the nature of the lesson I think it will allow students multiple entry points. The TED Talk was probably too long to hold my students attention but I do think it would be worthwhile to show students images of beautiful representations of data and discuss them.

I am hopeful that the knowledge towards data is heightened for the student and he or she finds a new appreciation for what data lends to the student as being very useful and helpful when in the right hands…not just a thing that a computer takes in and spits out,

I am interested in finding out what conclusions will my students draw from analyzing different kinds of data. I am also interested in their reaction to the video.

I look forward to showing my students data that they may be unfamiliar with or uncomfortable with and allowing them to reflect on it.
I am interested in how my students will draw conclusions and react to the data I show them. I hope that at the end of the lesson, my students will be appreciative of data and what we can draw from it.

I am looking forward looking at the visualization of data from the Ted Talk. I think i might have them make some visualization of some data.

If this lesson goes well, with engaged groups responding in different ways to the data collection prompts, they should gain the insight that larger amounts of differentiated data tell a more accurate story, and they may also discover that in data analysis, meaningful assessments can be accurately drawn from relatively small sample sizes when the data collection method is unbiased.

I intend to use , among other techniques, the Nominal Group Technique. The anonymity afforded the student will engender a willingness to participate and enthusiasm. The grouping if the question topics on a whiteboard instills order as well as ease of communication

I would want my student to try first examining a visual representation of a data set to see what conclusions they could draw, and second to take a list type data set and try creating a visual representation that would convey the meaning. Present to class/ gallery walk to share out.

Utilizing and presenting information (data) in graphical form utilizes pictures, words, and number. They form a symbiotic union, the result being greater comprehension and clarity.

I’m looking forward to seeing how surprised my students are with the ways that data can be expressed. I also believe that by the end of this lesson my students will be able to understand that data can be sorted by multiple means and come out with different end results.

I think I will need to interrupt the video at certain points to allow for group evaluation. I want mhy students to have a deeper understanding of data. I wonder how many other examples I can find.

I’m pretty sure there will be any AHA’s when one set of data is presented with another set of relevant data that provide a much clearer representation of the data, in context and much more accurate.

This happened to me. It’s troubling to think that we are so obsessed with data that we often lose sight of the fact that we forget to put those results in the context of why we gathered data in the first place. As teacher, we have to be more reflective of the different factors that are relevant to data collection and present them in the correct context.

I really enjoyed this lesson with my students. However, finding the picture to use for the assignment would have been more helpful. I finally just pulled it from the code.org training… I think this was a big eye opening project for the students and helped them to understand data and the different interpretations there are from different forms of data.

I am looking forward to the Room Activity. It was fun for us as a learners in our PD session. I think the kids will really like it as well.

The big “take away” from this lesson is to understand where data comes from. Between this lesson and the the previous lesson where the presenter explained how social media has been collecting data to send the user the feeds and post they are most interested in, this “take away” should be well received.

Seeing the students interpretation of the various forms of data.

I would love for my students to take away that data and its interpretation is not the same for all that see it and that its meaning is in the eye of the viewer. Moreover, data has multiple links to files, prospective acquaintances and companies.

that which the students easily identify, as opposed to the commonly ignored items, itself would be an interesting discussion of visual bias in gather data

I look forward to see how students see information and working them on how data is represented. I’ve found that students are limited in their thinking about information. I’d like to tap into their critical analysis abilities that would increase their understanding of data in order to grasp more complex concepts.