U1 Day 10: PD Discussion Topic

I’m interested in seeing how my students will relate and process the different types of data. I know I processed it differently than my co-worker so I’m really anxious to see how it turns out and what they do with the information they have

I think this part of the curriculum will student’s perspective on data, how it’s used, and how it can be manipulated to prove a point. I think this will spark good conversation that I will have to formulate into some type of assessment

I am looking forward to see which data representation the students prefer and why. Also, I wonder what kinds of conclusions and assumptions they will make about the kid in the picture. I anticipate that my students will realize that in some situations the picture is more useful and in other situations the list is more useful, especially as they relate to computers.

I plan on having my students choose a topic they are interested in to help them make the connection between data and visualization.

I am looking forward to viewing the different representations as perceived by the students. The main idea students will walk away with is that the same data set can be represented in different ways and although there are advantages and disadvantages to each, people in general prefer a simplistic visual format.

Information is beautiful. This lesson will dove-tail nicely with my graphic design lessons in Visual Communication. The info graphics can vary depending upon purpose and desired result. Can’t wait to teach this lesson.

We did a couple of examples in our training, i plan on using one of those examples

I like the analogy of a data jungle and using graphics and other tools as a “map” to sift through that data. I see lots of great conversations and discussions happening during this lesson.

I am looking forward to my students looking at data from a sceptics point of view. I want them to question the data that is presented to them. I want my students to take away from this lesson that data can tell a story, but it may not be the true story or the data can tell many stories, and the viewer has to understand this and “question the source”.

I look forward to students enjoying the visual representations and simplification of data presented by David Mccandless. The Snake Oil Supplements web page is very interesting. We’ll discuss bias and data interpretation/representation.

My students often have difficulties with data analysis and I am hoping that this lesson helps build data analysis skills. I am hoping that students are encouraged to find answers to their own questions by researching, collecting, and organizing data.

I like the questions “What does the data tell us,” and “What does the data not tell us.” I plan to have a mini-discussion on the idea that data is not self-interpreting meaning it actually doesn’t tell us anything. We have to attempt to make the proper connections. In other words, there are no brute facts. All data is interpreted through a particular person or group of people and thus forced to be biased.

I am looking forward to helping my students understand that data is being collected constantly and that is can be used in some many ways to illustrate live. My take away from the lesson is that data has to be visualized and I think that my students will also see the importance of data visualization.

I’m looking forward to the way we use data and show data to help emphasize what we are trying to say. I think the big take-away for the students will be the way in which they look at data from this point on.

Seeing how students identify the types of data. The limitations of data. Big take away,the stories my students will tell with data.

I am looking forward to hearing what the students take away from this lesson. What observations they make and what conclusions these data offer them and how their findings compare it to their classmates.

I was very excited by this lesson. As a middle school math teacher I spend a lot of time in the spring with the statistics and data standards. What good is math if we cannot apply it to something useful and make it have meaning for us. I will incorporate the ideas of this lesson to further enhance my instruction.

I think that is a great point. Understanding how data can be manipulated in different ways to tell a desired story is a life skill now I think so that the person consuming the data is does not end up manipulated.

I found the video to be a bit dry and originally thought of showing it to my classes. However, I think the topic is very interesting…especially when the data was refined so that a vastly different result was shown. I think I might have the students gather data on some type of music topic and then show the results using a variety of filtering information.

I can see my students being shocked at the detail of data and the different interpretations with it. Hopefully it will teach them that just someone looked at the same data as you, they may still get a different version of the outcome. I would like to tie that back into programming at the industry level and the importance of thoroughly explaining their reasoning.