U1 Day 10: PD Discussion Topic

I found it fascinating at the workshop to hear what we concluded from this Room Activity. I can’t wait to hear how my students interpret the same data.

I think high school kids think of data as numbers mostly, and even when they use bar or pie graphs, they still see it a number based. I believe looking at non-numerical data as a story telling device will be enlightening for them.

I am looking forward to the room activity. It will be interesting to see how students analyze the picture and also how they draw a picture based on items given. The conversation on why they did certain things will be quite interesting.

I was most looking forward to hearing what the students who had the lists thought about what type of person the items would relate to. We had answers that ranged from an elderly women to 5 year old boy.

Big take-away: a picture is worth a thousand words…

I am really curious to see how the student react to being given different visualizations of the data sets. I don’t know what they think will be more beneficial. My group of students struggles a lot with the idea of not always having one correct answer. I do think it will be great to see the groups compare the two pictures based on the different visualizations because a lot of kids seem to look at something in only one way, which is normally what they are comfortable with. I think it will be cool to see how different conclusions can come from the same data set and both be equally accurate at describing the situation.

I’m anxious to see how my students interpret this Room Activity assignment. They are really starting to open up and we are having some good discussions. Then I think I’d take a survey of the different types of “data” devices the students have and how they use them.

I’m looking forward to seeing how far they will take these thoughts on data representtion - and if they will retain it through the second semester when we go deeper into data.

I am looking forward to seeing the different ways that my students will able to represent data on their own. Since students have different learning styles, I look forward to seeing their different representations.

I am looking forward to introducing a picture/list of a crime scene here. My students will be shocked and it will grab their attention while relating to their interests.

So I started this discussion with my kids by showing this video:

We talked extensively about how numbers and data without context is sterile and not accessible to most people, but that people are naturally drawn to stories. Using data to tell a story is very compelling, as the video illustrates. I used a couple of other TED talk videos, and we also studied in depth the subreddit known as Data is Beautiful which offers interesting visualizations and open data sets. This was well placed after the Search lessons because I was able to leverage that into teaching kids how to find data sets so they could create their own visualizations for topics they are interested in. I am luring kids in with sports data, that is a big draw for both genders. I made this assignment a two week project. Kids are using open data sets they find to create infographics based on the data they find which will then be posted all around the school. If anyone likes this idea, I am doing it all in google classroom and can provide links, worksheets, etc.

I’m really interested in how the students will interpret the data and imprint their own life experience upon the data when they draw conclusions based on the data…

I really enjoy the visual aspects of this lesson. Sometimes computer science can either be too abstract or just too plain to really engage students. When they can see data as more than just numbers it changes how they look at computing. I hope that they will appreciate data more, and see the value that comes from analysis and presentation.

I did not like this activity when we did it over the summer. I’m not sure it was explained well as to what we were supposed to do, and i think my group missed the point of the exercise, though we picked it up afterwards. I hope to do it better when I teach it, as a way to show the perspectives that data can have.

This activity was particularly fun during the PD session. I think our students are going to enjoy this activity as it will draws the connection of data and how it is represented makes all the difference. Students have heard about data I am sure in their math class, but rarely have seen it being actually used. This activity will allow students to see how data is used and how it is presented actually matters.

The key point that I got from this lesson is data patterns and connections. I would have students create data maps as visual representations to teach this concept. I think the idea of design literacy depicts the merger between textual data and art involving creativity and language or words…

I found the video to be enlightening even though it was made back in 2010 (over 5 years ago); I am a visual person, so I like the ideal of getting the data and transitioning it to visual data. I am looking forward to presenting this lesson to my students and hoping that they will appreciate the transition, as well.

I think it’s extremely important for students to understand what data is and where it comes from. They often see things as very black and white. For example, when they evaluated websites many of them felt the website was a good one because it had the same numbers as another site. With no real depth, that seemed like enough to be accurate. I think by looking at data in various ways they will start to see the nuance of analyzing a data set. And hopefully realize the importance of trying to avoid using our biases when analyzing data.

I plan on using the picture and word list examples in a similar way to the ones we used in class. I think this will help students to understand how data is interpreted.

I am anticipating several in-depth discussions about point of view, background knowledge and interpretation. In addition to understanding the importance of analyzing and charting data for scientific purposes, I believe the students will have a better understanding of the damage that can result for assumptions and vague descriptions. This will be a perfect set-up for the importance of specific information later on in the semester when we address problem solving, programming and coding.

I really liked the activity we did with our PD group with one group having the actual picture, one having a list, and one having a word cloud. I will definitely use that activity in my classroom. However, although the concept of using visualization to assist with data interpretation is a relevant concept, I found the Ted Talk to be way too lengthy and believe my students would quickly lose interest. However, I think finding some sort of simpler charts to demonstrate the process would be effective.

Have student create data based on photos that they are given and then have them to create quantitative data and qualitative data, and have them to analyze other students data.