U1 Day 10: PD Discussion Topic

The analyzing date lesson is going to be a lot of fun. I think students are going to be surprised with the different ways they perceive data and how they analyze them. Each student is coming into the classroom with a different background and with diverse prior knowledge and the discussions are going to be exciting!

looking for my understanding to understand how data is collected and how it is used.

I look forward to using this video in my design and multi-media class. I cannot wait to see how the students will create visual representations of data that are meaningful to them. I like to incorporate topics that students are already interested in and then use those for the assignments.

Hope to have meaningful discussion about how much information about ourselves that we give away without intentionally meaning to. To be mindful of what they are telling others about themselves and to be aware that the information can be available people you donā€™t know.

Iā€™ll be interested in seeing how they interpret the data from the picture and the listā€¦We often assume that the kids will interpret things the same way we do, but often thatā€™s not the caseā€¦I would also - if time permits- have them find a data set that they are interested in and develop their own visual representation of it and then present them to the class.

Iā€™m looking forward to showing students how to make data meaningful. Sometimes students can look at data, but not really know how to analyze the data.

The students will really appreciate the visual aspects of this lesson. However, I believe that it is going to be difficult for them to understand the importance of the big picture that data can tell us.

I looking forward to seeing how the students will draw conclusions based on textual and image date. Iā€™m expecting that students will have differing interpretations of the data sets presented and that the results will show a greater influence of subjectivity than the students will initially expect. The point is that even supposed ā€œfactsā€ will vary widely based upon a personā€™s preconceived notions and influenced by factors such as oneā€™s culture or life experiences.

Iā€™m looking forward to seeing how different groups come up with their data sets and the conclusions they come to based on the data.

Data sounds SO boring. Iā€™m hoping by exposing students to data that is interesting and has relevance to them, they are willing to dive in and find data exciting, rather than boring; Iā€™m considering having students research data on a topic THEY care about - sports, money, video games, social media. There is an infinite amount of data collected, but if you donā€™t take the time to understand the underlying information, it would be easy to misinterpret.

Iā€™m looking forward to seeing studentā€™s interpretation of data. I think the data journal that students will fill out will be an eye-opener for them. It will really show them the amount of time that they actually spend on their phone/internet/computer and hopefully how they can be spending their time otherwise.

It will be interesting to see the similarities and differences in my studentsā€™ interpretation of the data in the room activity. I think the take-away is that data can be interpreted in many different ways depending on prior knowledge and the information received.

Iā€™m hoping my students will understand how perceptions affect our view of data. Also, Iā€™m hoping they see the importance of making sure they have all the data they need to complete a project.

I am looking forward to sharing the TED video on Data Visualization with my students. I think it might be interesting to bring in some topics from ā€œHow to Lie with Statisticsā€ along with how data visualization can be skewed (linking this to a prior lesson)

I think my students will really enjoy this lesson. Iā€™m looking forward to learning how my students perceive and interpret different forms of information and learning about whether they prefer to use visual images or lists. Iā€™m also looking forward to seeing how much information / detail they pull from the various ways the data is presented to them and the discussion to follow. I think this will really make them more aware of data around them and how it can be used in a variety of ways. I also think it will really help them in science, which I also teach.

I would probably do something similar but then think of questions based on their presentations (similar to the video) just to have thinking deeper into what visualizing can mean and not mean.

Showing how data to can be represented to make it more interesting and relevant just by how the data is displayed! Mainly that if data is displayed in a certain wayā€¦ in one image you can learn almost more than you would reading 15 articles, simply because you can see how different information looks in a certain format at the same time!

I enjoyed this activity in the workshop. My group was given the list of objects. We did not know that other groups were given a picture. It was interesting to hear the different groups interpretation of the data. The men in my group insisted it was a list of male items. The females disagreed and said they were gender stereotyping. It will be interesting to see if my students do the same thing.

Iā€™m looking forward to the inferences students will make based on the simple or elaborate amount of information each group has been given. I like cindyokā€™s suggestion - after the initial room activity, Iā€™ll probably have the students create lists of data about themselves and see if other can guess who is who in a journal activity.

1 Like

I think it will be interesting to note how each group responds to the type of data that is provided. And, of course, the following conversation is sure to be entertaining!