U1 Day 11-14: PD Discussion Topic

This is my second post for this unit. I am attaching a very simple design that I created using the rug weaving software.

This was a fun lesson, but it could be tough with my students! I would let them just play around with it and create something of their choice.

I think this would be a good activity for higher-thinking learners. I would allow my students time to experiment with creating their own designs. I think the tutorials are rather long and complicated for students.

I think this lesson very directly relates to computer science. I will definitely use the videos in this section to introduce this module to my students and then have them attempt to create their won 3-D creations. I will ask them to imagine what else 3-D computer models can assist us with in real life. What applications can they think of or wish existed and why? I cannot download any applications like photoshop or blender onto or school computers, so this may be difficult, but if students have access at home, I will ask them to create something at home if possible. Personally, I donā€™t have photoshop either and downloaded blender, but I couldnā€™t figure out how to import my rug design into it to make it 3-D. I couldnā€™t find any tutorial, so this is something I will have to explore more myself. Often times, I find students know much more about these applications that we do so maybe I can have students do a demonstration for the class to teach the rest of us about any applications they are familiar with already. Then we can work on a project together if possible. Here is a screenshot of my rug design (which I also found difficult). Hopefully you can see itā€¦

Having them think about what makes them like certain clothes and what they would change about clothing they possibly donā€™t buy in the store. Have them think about how instant feedback could help some designers or stores before they even make the clothing to know if it will sellā€¦based on popularity or dislike online!?

There are a lot of different ways to examine this lesson. I will use tools such as 123D to show how we can scan physical objects, turn them into 3d models and then work on them to print on a 3d printer. The bead software was interesting but I didnā€™t see how to bring it into Blender. Hereā€™s what I worked with:

Wow love what you did with your design. We just began this assignment on Friday and look forward to helping students learn to use this tool.

Thank you for sharing your design. If you donā€™t have Photoshop or another tool to modify your design, the students could use the Snipping Tool to get a copy of their image and put it in a google doc or presentation to share with the class and talk about how they did their design.

I too have experienced students having a hard time with unplugged activities, however, as we talk about computer science being more than programming and trying to think as Computer Scientists - we look at the Computational Practices from p. 12 in the ECS Lesson book, the students are more open to unplugged lessons and broader concepts of computer science.

Computational Practices used in ECS
ā€¢ Analyze the effects of developments in computing (impact/connections)
ā€¢ Design and implement creative solutions and artifacts
ā€¢ Apply abstractions and models
ā€¢ Analyze their computational work and the work of others
ā€¢ Communicate computational thought processes, procedures, and results to others
ā€¢ Collaborate peers on computing activities

My students loved this activity. I had them create their design on graph paper first with colored pencils. I allowed them to look up designs on the internet. One student did Hulk, another batman, a flower.
The next day they used the virtual beadloom to replicate their design. We talked about the math principles involved and also completing the design with as few steps as possible, similar to creating a program.

What were you supposed to do wit editing it in photoshop? I have photoshop and know a lot about it, but I didnā€™t see any suggestions for what students should do in photoshop.

Great question - Students are to create a design using one of the tools from the possible design tools:
o Virtual Bead Loom
o Pacific Northwest Basket Weaver
o Navajo Rug Weaver
(http://www.csdt.rpi.edu)

Then you have them take a picture of their design - snapshot or snip and edit the picture in Photoshop or a different editor to be able to put in their presentation or show case for the class to see.

I think the video about using 3d modeling in fashion design is awesome and the students will love it. It is pretty east to relate that to Computer Science. I think they will enjoy creating things in either google sketchup, photoshop, illustrator, or a variety of other online programs that are available. I really enjoy the adobe products and like sharing my passion for designing with students, so this should be a fun lesson for me. Here is my image from the basket weaver website.

My students had fun creating designs. Some of them were very creative. Iā€™m not that creative, but I thought it was fun to play with the software. This lesson helps students see practical application to computer science.

I will show the videos to the students to get them interested. They are fun. Then I may use the Graffiti Art tool to have my students explore making drawings. I do have Photoshop and will have them go through the tutorial and explore that program.

Our school system does not allow us to download anything onto our laptops. I was unable to complete this task, in order to get even free resources I have to have Administrative Rights on my computer which I do not have.

What are the three videos everyone keeps referring to?
Thanks!

I think students will like playing with the images. They will need some additional modeling to stick with the math practice. I hadnā€™t used anything like the bead designer, so it was fun. You could give students some emotions and have them try and duplicate them.

I wish we went over this during PD during the summer. Thereā€™s lots of great resources in this lesson that I donā€™t feel super comfortable using yet. I really liked the videos and I would definitely show those to my students.

Hello Carol,

A couple of free web based photo editing software options - https://pixlr.com or www.fotor.com.