U1 Day 5-7: PD Discussion Topic

How do you plan to help students remain engaged throughout this lesson? Do you plan to use any additional resources? What are they?

If you have any other thoughts or questions about this lesson, feel free to post those in the forum as well!

Since I will be in a Lab for my ECS Class I will have each student find a Web Site that they use on a regular basis and have them identify what type of information they generally look for. I would ask they they determine if the web site that they use is easy to use, or if it is a site that at times they find difficult to use. I would ask that they provide examples to share out with the class to determine if there are any common issues that students within the class also find as being easy to use, or more difficult to use.

I think I’m going to incorporate different items for the scavenger hunt. I will also be using the idea that the group presented with analyzing websites. I’ll give each group two websites to look at: one serious and one goofy. They will compare and contrast the sites and decide which one is the “credible” one.

We will add items to the scavenger hunt that are relevant specifically to our school, our community, and students’ interests/ideas.

In addition to the Web 2.0 video, I intend to provide students with other readings, videos, and resources to help them understand the transitions from Web 1.0 -> Web 2.0 -> Web 3.0. I definitely want students to project what the future possibilities of the Internet might be and what needs the Web might need to address.

I plan on making sure, first of all, that the students understand what the overarching goal of the lesson (days 5-7) is all about… That when using the web, for what ever purpose, they can identify which of the 3+ camps (or hybrids thereof) their interaction can be placed in (a Web 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 or 4.0 context). To do this, while processing through the Journal prompts, scavenger hunts (modified to engage my students for their local and interests <a-la the ‘Web 3.0’ approach>, resource experimentations, and website evaluations (selecting some examples that are very engaging as they will have applications for other courses that the students will be taking), I will be asking them to classify the resource by ‘Web’ interaction type. So that they will know what a Web. 3.0 resource ‘smells like’ I will be providing them with some examples. They can be found on this Symbaloo ‘webmix’ < http://edu.symbaloo.com/mix/ecsunit1-hci > that I’m creating for Unit 1 in the "Web 3.0 Apps’ folder. More will be added as I find them. I will also be adding some resources that will clue them in on what ‘Web 4.0’ might ‘smell’ like as well.

1 Like

I will include items in the scavenger hunt that are relevant to my students’ lives. I also plan to use this to build community in the classroom by adding items like “your group members’ favorite movie.” This will allow the students to get to know one another.
For students who finish early or need more engagement, I plan to ask students to do the searches in different web browsers/search engines and compare and contrast their results.

1 Like

Since my students are web savvy already, I plan to use the “Filter Bubble” video to engage students and create a discussion about web searches. This will be a perfect lead into the website evaluations.

— I will have my students in groups of 2-4 discuss the What, Where, When, Why, & How they use some of the Social Media that is currently available to them ie. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and list the many ways that it is being used.

— I would ask them to share the Advantages (Positives) they see in having Social Media at almost anytime, and to share the Disadvantages (Negatives) they see in having Social Media at almost anytime.

— I would have my students determine through discussion if Social Media is used the same or different by various demographic characteristics such as Age, Sex, Race, Educational Levels, Teen Years vs Adult Years vs Elderly/Senior Years.

— Upon a review of the difference between Web 2.0 and Web 3.0, I would ask students to discuss and collaborate on what they think Social Media will look like in the immediate future 3- 5 years; mid term future 5-9 years; and longer term future 10 - 15 years with having them associate their age in the future, and how they feel Social Media will be the Same or Different for them in the future.

1 Like

I think it is really important for the students to see and attempt to understand the transition between We b 1.0 to 2.0 to 3.0 to beyond. It gets them to think how much we have progressed and to ponder where we are going. I think pondering the future will definitely keep them interested. I also agree with a colleague’s comment of adding student relevant things to their scavenger hunt.

The filter bubble is a very thought provoking yet real concept. I think this topic will invite very lively discussions on our future “gate keepers” of America and their responsibility to society

This is not a new course for our students. The students who enroll are interested in learning how to write code; therefore, I would focus on the perspective of a programmer and his/her role in controlling how content is dispersed. I love both of the videos provided and will definitely be using them to inform the students and spark a discussion. After watching the first video, the definition of Web 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 will be displayed. Students will be grouped and ask to find a site that falls into each of the categories. Pairs will share out one of their sites that I will display for the whole class. After watching the second video (“Filter Bubbles”), students will write down how they feel about the role of a programmer in terms of dispersing content from a monetary gains as well as an ethical perspective. Students will then share their feelings with a small group and then there will be a class discussion.

I show the Ted Talk on Filter bubbles and we hold a class discussion.

I set up a discussion board and ask students: “How do you interact with the Web? Interacting is not the same as reading Websites. Describe your Web 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 interactions in a short essay (~100 words).”

I also give students index cards and ask them to write how they interact with the Web on the index card. Then as a class, we decide if that action belongs under the heading of Web 1.0, 2.0, or 3.0.

1 Like

Every website that is used throughout this lesson should be categorized as Web 1.0, 2.0. 3.0, etc. It should be something students consider whenever they look at a website. I will also ask my students to defend/critique the website depending on whether they believe the website should experience any changes to become more successful.

As a class we need to understand the differences between Web1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 interactions. During a whole class discussion I would like students to offer specific websites and explain which category they fall under. If their examples mostly favor one category, possibly Web3.0, then I will challenge them to think of examples of the other two. We will also watch the video about Filter Bubbles and discuss this concept as a class. It would be important for students to tie this in with the concept of different web interactions.

This lesson will be so much fun. I will ask students to search for a specific prompt on their personal device(s) as well as the computer in the classroom and observe/discuss the different results. As homework, I will ask students to do the same exercise at home and share the results with their family.

I’m going to have my students do the scavenger hunt and and have them do searches to see what kind of different results they get. I have to examine the Jigsaw asignment to see if it fits my lesson plan but I definitely want to do the web site verification drill.

I will use the video to enhance the discussions on Web 1,2, 3.0. The scavenger hunt is a good exercise. Having them also search using different web engines and questioning why the different results might be an interesting discussion.

I will have my students do a scavenger hunt as well. We will then have discussions about the Web 1, 2, and 3.0 tools. We will then examine a few different websites to determine their validity using the sample rubric and then create our own class rubric and examine another website to determine it’s validity in groups of 4. Each group will share their results and comment on improvements that could be made.

I think it would be interesting to do a 3-day study of their “web diet”. When you go on a diet, you often document everything you eat to analyze what you eat, when and why. The students can document what they “consume” from the web so we can classify it and analyze when and why they use the web. The goal is to increase their (self) awareness and this assignment would do that.