U1 Day 8-9: PD Discussion Topic

I will probably have my students break in to groups to research and present pros/cons of different social media examples.We will have class discussions focused around these presentations.

One of the best ways to make a concept “stick” is to teach the concept to someone else. I think students get tired of always receiving information; this lesson allows students a chance to become the facilitator/teacher. After giving a brief overview of the dangers and mishaps that can occur involving the web, students should be instructed to find examples of their own. To prevent duplication, the students can post their findings on a class discussion board or website; no duplicates are allowed.

Have students google their name, their parent’s name, siblings name. Most times many will find items out on the internet about their family or a friend.

I would carefully couple this discussion along with an overview of general internet safety. Because of the age of my students, we don’t delve too deeply into social media because, surprisingly, not all of them have a social media account. I do, however, have them examine their digital footprint which does prompt them to think about what sites they have visited and what information they are leaving behind.

I would have the students brainstorm some ways that social media is helpful and how it is harmful. We would look at some court cases involving social media and its affects on society and how it impacts the development of the adolescent.

I believe the entire topic of social media will make the objective approachable to students. Students may also have great input and knowledge I may not be able to bring to the table. I do feel the topic of internet safety always gets an “eye roll” from students, but videos and situational examples will keep them engaged.

I would have my students look up articles on how people have been effect by posting things on the Facebook or Twitter.

Students are keenly aware of social media, whether they use it or have friends that use it. Students also have trouble realizing what is in their “digital dossier”, which is troubling to me. I will have my students search the internet for information about themselves or even other students. When we do this, there are usually several students who are surprised by what others can find out about them. I plan to walk students through setting up the privacy settings on popular social media sites and facilitate a discussion of what content should be considered public and what they may want to keep private.

They are surrounded by digital technology and that is easy for them to relate. We discuss social media fails - where people have posted things that got them fired, etc. We look at them from a privacy point what they should think about before they post. We also look at them from the point of should the person be fired? What part does society play in the this and should it? Why can’t we make a mistake anymore?

I think both the communication methods chart and the privacy activity will be relevant to the students because they use these types of methods every day. I expect that my 8th grade students will get very excited about the privacy activity because middle schoolers are all walking “causes” and anything that they perceive as “unfair” tends to engage them. I might have them go out and find more examples of data that could cause them problems in the future.

Social media is a big part of student lives these days. Being able to use social media as a teaching tool can help introduce internet concepts and issues easier.

Because this topic is very relevant to students today, the objectives are attained more easily. Presenting students with various scenarios that incorporate internet communication and have them discuss and find solutions, would be my plan for their understanding to be long lasting.

I think students will relate to this lesson because it discusses apps that they use in their daily lives. It will be interesting to hear their responses to the privacy activity and information that they blindly allow.

This lesson is extremely applicable to students because they use the internet and many different social media outlets so often. Students love talking about these topics so they will be extremely engaged. I will have students share / discuss different examples / stories about how the internet impacts them both positively and negatively so they understand the full range of implications of technologies they use every day.

Almost all students today’s use social media in all its forms to communicate and to manage their lives. Most are probably much more adept at using social media than even their parents and teachers. So it should not be difficult at all for students to relate the topic of conversation to their daily life experiences. The best thing that the teacher can do to facilitate communication in the classroom is to help students to relax and have fun with it. This is especially important if the students are asked to discuss how they use social media for matters that are usually private.

2 ideas:
1: I share out a picture via Remind to a student and then we time how long it takes for all students to have a copy of it on their devices.
2: Look at a case study for people who have lost their jobs because of what they post on social media.

This lesson is discussing what students do all-day, every-day for the most part; utilize social media. I’m VERY interested to observe them becoming more aware as they THINK about the impact of social media and become researchers, inquirers, thinkers instead of just users. I’m hoping to see minds open to the dangers and opportunities social media brings to our lives. I hoping their understanding provokes contemplation about their own privacy.

1 Like

I like “Mom fired over Facebook Status” and Internet Danger–Everyone Knows Sarah". I think the students can relate to these.

I think students benefit from this lesson by learning more about the apps that they use and how they’re information online isn’t really private. Having students check their own privacy settings too will help show them that anyone can access their information. One technique that I will use is Twitter to help students identify the impact of communication. I would use Twitter to play ‘telephone’ with my students and show them how statements can be taken out of context and how potential employers could view their accounts and decide they might not be the right fit.

I think this lesson is very relatable for teens because they care so much about their privacy. I plan on having students research an incident when the privacy of regular people was violated, breached, or hacked from a website, app, or business