U1 Day 8-9: PD Discussion Topic

Using app examples to show them how nothing is private when you post it on the internet. How some apps have dealt with privacy issues in the past because of the fact that after you post it you don’t know who will end up seeing it at one point or the other! I want them to understand to think before they post because everything can come back later, relate it to them!

The social media aspect is one they will connect with and help them grasp the objective. The students use snapchat and instagram and they also chat on gaming sites. I would use these examples and show them articles. One thing I would do is give them examples of positive and negative ways as an activity.

I like how you are thinking of Growth Mindset as you work with the students on how they use Social Media. It would be great for them to transition to becoming researchers, inquirers, and computational thinkers.

After discussing the different scenarios I will ask students to write in their journal about the image their own online posts would convey to someone who does not know them. Would it impact: a potential employers hiring decision? University admission or scholarship application?

1 Like

I like this lesson because the students can relate to social media. I will show the videos Mom Fired and Everyone Knows Sarah. The students will journal and then discuss the effects of social media on their private life and their professional (in the future) life.

I think students will benefit from sharing their own personal experiences with the class. As I talked individually with students… I noticed that many of them had interesting experiences about internet communication.

I think that it is approachable to students because they can see how it is actually applicable in real life. The students get to see examples of how communication has and is being affected by computers. It will also be good for them to take a closer look at social media and really talk about the risks that are involved. They will need to learn to be responsible using computers as a communication tool.

I will have each student keep track of how many times they use computers (phones, social media, email, etc.) to communicate in a week and have them record the data and then present their findings. Hopefully it will open their eyes to how much communication happens through computers.

I am a high school teacher and one of the things we emphasize is that nothing is private on the internet, Once you post it you can never get it back. Teenagers are sharing way too much information with strangers, they don’t realize the consequences of their actions or the long-term effect on their lives. Parents are sharing too much information about their children who have no control over what their parents are posting about them. Strangers will grab infants pictures off facebook and create virtual families with other people’s children, I can’t think of anything creepier.

This lesson is really relevant and current. Students should be engaged since they are looking at social media. I might have students do a simulation and have them “apply for a scholarship” and assign roles of applicant and reviewer amongst peers and have the “reviewers” take a look at a student’s social media and use that in their decision on whether or not the applicant should recieve the scholarship.

I also think that there are enough examples in every community of social media gone wrong that students should journal about their own personal experience and think about how they may have contributed to a problem or was on the recieving end of the problem.

1 Like

I like how this uses Snapchat, which my students also use. I think they will be interested. I would like to have my students use the “Take this Lollipop” website to see what is posted that might be used against them. It is pretty eyeopening,

I think the students will enjoy this lesson. They all need to be reminded again and again about the impact of internet communication. Students can discuss and share their own stories and I might have a guest speaker on the subject.

I think it is good to have students talk about their own stories of sharing too much online, or even have them look up cases similar to the ones in the Privacy scenario and give their recommendation on consequence of posting such things.

I’m anticipating my students will find great meaning in the topic of the impact communications via the computer have impacted their lives. I also think they don’t think much about their privacy or the importance of it. I’m hoping that bringing some real-life impacts to their attention they’ll begin to value their privacy.

This is something that really affects students today. I’m sure there will be several personal examples within the classroom where students can relate.

I think this lesson is approachable to students because it has to do with things they use/do everyday. I like the idea of using case studies for the students to read through and then think about harder questions that go along with it. For example, questions about who is at fault in certain situations, who does it effect, and do other people have the right to look at your post or picture online?

@alison_ence I think students get very excited when given scenarios that they can relate with when it comes to social media or news articles about current situations that are similar. If the issue is about someone older often times they are more critical of the person, but when it comes back to them or someone their age, their views change quite a bit.

Students love scenarios that are relevant to them. I like the suggestion of showing the youtube video “Internet Danger- Everyone Knows Sarah” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThxmgXMBpoM54. It is frightening. It will certainly make students THINK. Also googling themselves is a great idea.

1 Like

@robyn_hilton Wow - that video clip is definitely makes one think about posting and who all sees it, esp. those we don’t expect. I agree that students will be engaged in discussions after watching this video. Do you have students share their thoughts in journal entries or class discussions?

Our students are digital natives and they are comfortable interacting socially on the Internet; however, they are often not aware of their digital footprint and how the information shared online will affect their present and future lives. The activity where the students had to research various scenarios and discuss the impact of Internet communication and why certain methods were selected to communicate was a a powerful learning experience for all of us.

@wanda_jones I agree that students get a new perspective on social media when they have to be the one defending or judging a scenario.

I like to throw in some current event articles as well as hook or closing activities to keep them thinking. There are so many articles out there.