U4 Challenge Decision

To begin with, I’ll have students partner up and tell a couple of knock, knock jokes. After, I’ll have students share with the whole class. From there, I’ll have students write down their scripts from their jokes. And, finally, create a Scratch project using their script. Then, students will be able to share their program with their classmates for peer review. If time allows, we may present to other, nearby classes.

Days 2 - 3 (Name Activity)

I found the name activity challenging since I am new to scratch, but also a lot of fun. I think students will love this activity and believe they will pick it up faster. I think it would be fun to allow students to explore and try this activity independently first, but then pair them up if they are having trouble so they can collaborate and share little things each learned while attempting individually. The great thing about this activity is that there were guided tutorials along the way to allow students to learn and make progress gradually. As an extension / assessment, I would have students write their own “name challenge” that requires them to create an entire sentence and then assign colors, sounds, or actions to each word as it directly relates to the word. For example, if the sentence said, “The little dog ran…” they would need to make the word “little” smaller than the others, the word “ran” move across the screen quickly, etc. I would have them swap these challenges with others in the room to see if they can complete them successfully.

1 Like

I am going to use Day 2-3: Scratch - Name Project.

I will do Unit 4 day 9: Broadcast role play to introduce the concepts of broadcasting in Scratch.

To start, I’ll randomly hand out actions based on “broadcasts” heard during the reading of a nursery rhyme. Broadcasts can be from the reading itself or other students’ actions.
Examples:
Broadcast: Action:
Mary -> Clap 3 times
Lamb -> say “Pork chops”
School -> stand up
Teacher -> say “Sit Down”
Pork Chops -> drum your desk for 2 seconds
Sit down -> sit down

I have decided to work on the Day 4: Scratch - Knock Knock Joke lesson for my challenge.

@sleedy

I really like the role play idea. That can really help students understand the broadcast block and gets them up and moving.