My students took the Unit 1 Assessment this week. Everything with the system worked fine. I had no trouble unlocking the assessment and locking it back again. I downloaded the csv file of the grades. I only have 10 students in this class. The grades ranged from a 90 to a 20! The only missed question for the student that received the 90 was the one about bandwidth and latency. We talked about bandwidth and bitrate in here but not latency. I’m not sure where I missed that concept… Most of my students missed this question, so I threw it out. They all did fine on the Hex questions because we did briefly cover that material.
The only problems came when the students logged back into the system to review their answers in read only format a couple of days later. They had to keep refreshing the screens for the correct answers and explanations to show up.
In addition to this MC assessment I wrote 3 open-ended questions that came from the Denning Article and Blown to Bits and graded it with a rubric I put together after Googling “technical writing rubrics”. For some students the writing saved them, for some the MC saved them. For some they are feeling a bit sunk right now. I have reassured them that the first AP assessment is always hard and there is always room for improvement!
Thanks to everyone at code.org and this forum for the great curriculum and support!