Update to Logging In with Maker App

Hey Folks,

A quick update to some changes we needed to make to our standalone Maker App for Unit 6 of CS Discoveries: if you & your students login using Google or Clever, the button for this step is now located at the top of the Maker App in the Navigation bar:

If you don’t see the button, make sure you are using the latest version of the Maker App (currently: 1.1.8). You can download the latest version of the app here.

This takes folks to their browser (such as Chrome or Internet Explorer) and has them log-in through Google in their browser. Once they log-in in on the browser, they are taken to a page that gives them a generated code. Meanwhile the Maker App has automatically directed them to a page where they can paste the code. They should copy the code from the browser to the Maker App and once they submit, they’ll be logged in in the Maker App.

Why Did We Make This Change? Google has recently increased their security measures when using third-party apps (like ours!) to login with Google services. These steps allow us to continue using Google to login to the app, while also keeping your account information secure with Google’s new procedures.

Cheers,
Code.org CS Discoveries Team

3 Likes

I’m no longer getting a code when I use the Log in With Google button at the top of the Maker App. When I click it, a browser page opens with me logged in to my Code.org Dashboard, but I don’t get a code. I still get the screen in Maker App asking me to paste in the code. I can still log on to Maker App with my original user name and password, but I know several teachers who would prefer to log in with Google.

Hey @anicholson2869 ! Thanks for putting this on our radar. We did some investigating and believe we’ve fixed the issue. Please try again and it should correctly take you to the screen with the passcode to use in the Maker app.

Cheers,
Dan - Code.org Curriculum Writer

Thanks. I just checked it out and it is working correctly.

Just a quick follow up. I closed out of Maker App and later opened it up and tried Logging on with Google again. I had the same issue that I reported previously. However, once I closed all my browser tabs and windows, I was able to log on with Google and get the code again.

1 Like