Welcome! Please introduce yourself

Hi, My name is Caz and I am the resource development coordinator at Redwood College in QLD Australia. We currently are a school of distance education so are looking for innovative ways to connect our students with solid learning about digital technology.

Hi! My name is Catherine. My 20 years of teaching included multiple grade levels and subjects before I took the leap to gifted education and eventually transitioned to a makerspace facilitator for the new Pike Road School System in Alabama where I empower learners through passion driven World Changer projects that are designed around ISTE standards. Our school system’s mission is to create a culture of intellectual curiosity where all students have ownership over their learning and are inspired to think, innovate, and create. One way I work towards this goal is to guide my learners through the Code.org Fundamentals Express Course and assign several Scratch projects to further develop the basic blockly coding skills introduced in Code.org. As of now, I will continue facilitating the 6th grade makerspace this upcoming school year, but I am advocating for a computer science elective and robotics elective for all interested middle school learners.

I might be best known by my students for the phrase, “Be producers, not just consumers.”

Catherine

Hello! My name is Eric Bloom and I am a K-6 STEM and computers teacher at Mountain View Christian School in Las Vegas, NV.

I am interested in learning more about computer science, coding, and how I can implement code.org into my classroom curriculum.

Hello!

I am Taylor Honkala. I live in Warrensburg, MO and work in Knob Noster, MO. I teach 5th grade. I was asked to take on some computer science/coding roles with our RTI program as part of an enrichment group, but I have a fairly limited understanding of coding, much less how to go about teaching it!

Hi! My name is Debbie Greenman. I teach in Spokane, WA. For the past 14 years, I have taught 3rd grade. Next year I will be moving to 4th grade. For the past three years, I have been a facilitator for an after school school Computer Code Club for 3-6th graders. I also use Khan Academy in my classroom with Code.org for many of my students. I would like to learn more so that I can stay one step ahead of my students (or at least know how to help them find help).

Hi, my name is Amy Shook and I am a Florida educator. I teach 4th and 5th ELA as well as gifted at a small public school in Yankeetown, FL. I am new to coding myself, so I am learning what I can now in order to use this platform to teach my gifted students next year. Oh, and my favorite ice cream flavor is chocolate peanut butter!!

My name is Lori Abernethy. I live just outside of Philadelphia in Bucks County, Pennsylvania and I am a Digital Literacy teacher in the School District of Philadelphia. I teach grades K-6 and have used the Code.org resources with my students for a few years now. I have a BS in Elementary Education and my master’s in Technology Education but neither have any in depth study of coding or computer basics for that matter. I’ve been teaching in Philadelphia for 25 years. This summer I want to move past my limited coding knowledge and really dig-in so my students can benefit from my expanded coding knowledge when we start up again in August.

You can find me on Twitter: @digiteachlori

I am passionate about teaching computer science
and I am very happy to be an active part of this creative community
Become more aware
When you teach everywhere

Hi there!

My name is Jessica and I’m a first year teacher.

I teach in Manitoba, Canada. I’m new to the world of Computer Science and would love to learn more in order to implement it into my classroom for September 2018.

1 Like

Hi!
I’m a German mom who just moved from the US to Spain. I was telling the teachers at my kids’ new school about code.org and they invited me to teach an afternoon class in English to the local kids. So here I am, trying to decide if I actually want to do this… :wink:

My name is Kathy Rundell. I will be teaching second grade in the fall at a private school. My previous teaching experience was with 1st graders. I am new to the coding world and thought this was a good place to start. I am excited to learn about coding and pass that excitement onto my students. :slight_smile:

Hi! I am Erlin de Peralta, currently working in Suzhou City, Jiangsu Province, China as a Learning Center Director. I am interested to learn Coding for professional development. I hope I will be able to use this knowledge by teaching this to our students in the future.

By the way, my favorite ice cream flavors are pistachio and vanilla.

Hello, My name is Terri Hughes. For the past 27 years I’ve taught all subjects in middle school for grades five through seven, but have spent the most time in sixth grade. This year my middle school, Campbell Middle School, closed its doors forever. Next year it will become the preK through fourth grade Campbell School of Innovation (CSI). I feel incredibly fortunate that I will be teaching second grade there next year. Eventually CSI will be a preK-8th grade school. We will be looking at changing the way we educate children and will be using design thinking and project based learning.

I live in San Jose’s oldest subdivision near downtown and teach in Campbell. Both are located about an hour south of San Francisco, California. I will finish my Masters in Educational Leadership from Santa Clara University tomorrow! This summer I am attending many trainings to gear up to CSI’s grand opening and attending #MERIT18 at the Krause Center of Innovation located at Foothill College. It is going to be a busy summer spent learning and developing my teaching craft.

While I didn’t know much about computer science, it hasn’t kept me from giving those opportunities to students. I have done a few Code.org CS First clubs. I’m looking forward to upping my skills so that I can better support my second graders next year in bring rich computer science experiences into our classroom.

You can get in touch with me here:
Twitter: @thehughes2
Linkedin

My name is Angela Ferreira. I teach computer science at a small Christian private school in Fort Mill South Carolina, right outside of Charlotte, North Carolina. Being at a small private school, I am the electives teacher for all the high school electives. Part of my teaching responsibility as the computer science requirement for all high school students. I feel completely overwhelmed with us and not at all adequately trained. I am so glad that I have found the site and hope to gain knowledge and a curriculum for my students.

My name is Whitney Richardson and I work in a small district near Houston Texas. I have taught first or second grade for five years but will be heading a new technology class for our new fifth grade campus! I used code.org with my first graders the past two years but would like to be able to dive deeper with my fifth graders this year.

Hello to all…my name is Luis San Roman. I teach 8-12 grade math and electives at the discipline alternative campus for my district in Schertz, Tx. I sometimes get a computer science student and have struggled in the past to provide the support they need. Hopefully, by doing the online tutorials at code.org and going through the curriculum myself I’ll be able to give them the support they need. I’m a retired Navy Submariner and I’m entering my 14th year teaching.

My name is Karrie Coffey, and I am a k-8 teacher who is interested in using code.org as part my school’s technology program.

I live in Riverhead New York which is on the North Fork of Long Island.

I am hoping that being part of this community will help me to use code.org at my school.

Hello everyone,
I am Pam Bonds a code.org affiliate in Iuka, Ms. I transferred to computer technology K-4 at Iuka Elementary in February 2018 and I absolutely love it.
I am super excited about introducing more coding in the lab for all grade levels. I look forward to hearing and learning with and from everyone in this forum

Hi Everyone,

My name is Leslie and I teach 5th grade in Auburn, WA. I’m just at the beginning of my summer break and have committed to completing this course over the summer. I’m excited to learn fundamentals so I can bring an additional layer of engagement and relevance to my teaching. I have had no experience with programming/coding, at least not since I had an Atari in my room as a middle-schooler and programmed a mouse trap game. Sports, music and boys interested me more and I haven’t been interested in coding until now.

You can follow my class on Twitter @MrsL5th. We’d love to have other classes as followers and we follow back!

For the record, my favorite ice cream flavor is Praline Pecan.

The picture is a class selfie with my students who just left me.

2 Likes

Hi! I’m Linda and I teach 3rd grade in Auburn, Wa.
I’m here to learn, listen, and share ideas.