Welcome! Please introduce yourself

csf
intro

Hello I’m Richard from the Philippines, Nabunturan, Compostela Valley to be exact.
I teach Literature for a bunch of Grade Eleven students who specialized in Computer Programming.
I signed up for the course so that I could help myself understand the Computer Programming and how I can marry the two subject literature and computer programming.

Hello! My name is Gail Gallaher, and I am a first-year high school teacher at a small charter high school in San Francisco. My main subject is Biology, but my school is so small that I also teach an elective class. I chose to teach Drama this fall, but that ended up being a difficult class to take on as a first-year teacher still improving my classroom management, student relationships, and planning skills. I’m exploring the possibility of switching the elective to a CS/coding class for the spring. There might be a lot of advantages to that, but I’m trying to go in with eyes open so that I don’t naively take on a subject that turns out to be more challenging than I thought. (“The grass is greener on the other side” mindset.) So, that’s what I’m curious about here - what might be the most challenging parts of teaching this curriculum? Especially as 1) a first-year teacher 2) of 9th graders who are still learning how to be responsible students 3) in an urban school. What difficulties would I encounter that I might not be thinking about yet? What do you wish you knew when you started teaching CS? And, on the other side, what are reasons why I should take the plunge and try it? Thank you so much to anyone who replies or can point me in the direction of someone who can help!

Hello everyone.

I am Bruce1803 and I am live in Johannesburg, South Africa. I teach at an Independent school in Sandton, Johannesburg. I am a Grade 7 English and Religious Studies teacher who has always had a great interest in the use of ed tech in the classroom. As of January, I will be taking on a new role in my school, Head of Integrated Computer Integration. One of my functions is to get my colleagues to make greater use of ed tech in their classrooms so as to make their lessons more engaging and more effective. I will also be teaching Computer Science for the first time. I am looking forward to this and the platform that I will be using is, obviously, Code.org.