Welcome! Please introduce yourself

Hello,
My name is Kimberly Thomason. I teach 7th and 8th-grade computer classes at Clinton Middle School in Clinton, MO. I would like to start teaching coding in my Computer Literacy class. My only coding experience is from college using the Pascal programming language. I guess this dates me. :confused:

My favorite ice cream flavor is Butter Pecan.

My name is Edmonia Everett and I teach K-12 in a school without walls. I live in Texas and I want to learn more Code.org so I can share with coworkers.
Edmonia

Hi my name is Chaunte and I teach in the Los Angeles Unified School District. I teach 5th grade and am very interested in code.org curriculum because computer science is quickly becoming a basic neccesity in the academic setting.

My name is Desiree Wallace
I work at NorthSide Elementary in Tifton GA
I teach k-5 in the computer lab
This is something new to me and my Principal is wanting me to start this at my school.
my email is dewallace@tiftschools.com
I have been married for 30 years
T

o the same cowboy who took me horseback riding on our second date and we still have horses to this day.
I’m a mother of 2 wonderful and gorgeous ladies and 1 smart and handsome Nephew-son
I have 2 amazing grandchildren that I can’t enough of
my favorite icecream is Neapotion because you can get a little of all three.
I am not a big bloger I don’t check my facebook every day I set it up just to talk to my kids and family sorry

Hello. Paul here. The new director of Technology and Innovation for the Richland, WA school district.

Hello everyone. My name es Luis Prado, teaching information technologies in high school, from Tijuana - Mexico. Thank you for time.

My name is Julie Williams. I teach 3-5 technology at Gateway Elementary in Conneaut, OH. My classes have participated in Hour of Code. since the beginning. I have since roped my partners in crime at the middle school and primary school to participate also. It has been a great resource and tool for my students to learn block coding. My favorite flavor of ice cream is cookies and cream.

My name is Amy Klaffke, I am a K-6 Technology teacher at Alden Elementary in Alden, Iowa. We are a small rural school of 132 K-6 graders in our building and our 7-12 graders go to Iowa Falls - Alden schools in Iowa Falls, Iowa.

I am interested in being apart of this community as our school is changing our technology focus to computer science programming that the state is wanting all school to focus more on in the technology classrooms for K-12. I am planning on using the Code.org materials and this will help me to understanding and prepare for using it my classroom.

Hello my name is Oscar, i live and work in Guatemala, Central America, currently i am working with middle school students, i am a math and programming teacher and that is why i am interested in learning how to use code.org in my classroom.

Hi, my name is Cameron
I live in Arlington, Tx.
I’m an Instructional Coach Pre-k - 6
I’m just trying to learn the code.org platform to best be able to serve the kids.

Hi, my name is Dejan.
I live in Estonia and I teach English. I’ve been experimenting with coding and robotics in my free time and I would like to introduce them to my students as well. First step, An hour of code!

Hi my name is Mary Ann Korson & I teach computer applications to grades 3-10 in a small private school, St. Mary School in Lake Leelanau Michigan. I have previously participated in the hour of code & want to step things up this year and implement the code.org curriculum. I plan to start with the fundamentals course & hope to take the middle school course next summer.

*Hi I am Janise Venia Wriddle

• I live and work in the city of Chicago
    *I currently teach IB Design to students in grades 6-8, computer science to students in grades 1-5, 5th-grade health, and library science to students in m\kindergarten. These disciplines were placed in my lap, I came into the domains with limited knowledge.
  • I am looking forward to learning and sharing information about teaching computer science to students at the elementary level.

I can be found at the following links
Classroom http://mcpherson.cps.edu/214.html
Twitter https://twitter.com/WridWref

Hi,

I’m Erik Brillon and I live and work in New York (Florida, NY to be exact). I currently teach HS students with two middle school sections (we have grades 6-12 in our school).

Our school district is implementing the AP Computer Science Principles course for SY1920 and I’m in the process of getting course approvals, etc. from our Board of Ed and we plan on using code.org to help us achieve our goals for curriculum building.

I have no programming experience or any of the code.org stuff however I was a IT professional for 20 years before changing to K-12 education (I’m also an adjunct professor for 18 years).

I am looking to network with teachers in my area and hopefully I can learn from all of you!

Thanks and see you online!
Erik

Hello, My name is Morgana, and I am teaching 5th grade, Alberta, Canada (where I’m from) curriculum at a private school in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
We have 4 blocks per week labelled “Option”, I am looking at teaching coding during some of this time. I am a total newbie tho, and will take the teacher starter online course.
I’m excited to learn something new!
My fav ice cream flavour is Tiger, which I can’t get here in the Middle East - wahhhhhh.IMG_4706

1 Like

Hello, World! I´m from Nicaragua. I´m working in Forest Conservation and Water Resources (fundenic.org), some times we teaching environmental topic to local communities and rural and urban school.

I want to learn CS and Code to teach kids (chigüines en buen Nica) and young people too.

I feel that these are skills for a sustainable future, they must be!

Hey everyone,

My name’s Nathan Barten. I teach science in Cambridge, Minnesota. New to coding, though I took a C++ course in high school 15+ years ago. Not sure how much of that will come back to me. I’ll be teaching a class of 6th graders. I was asked to come up with a computer science class for them with just a week to prep. Code.org seems to be the best thing out there. I anticipate I’ll be learning as much or more than the students! Joining this community because I’m sure I’ll have questions and will need someone to turn to.

Thanks,

NB

Hey everyone!
My name is Kayla Simmons. I teach 4th grade in Phoenix, Arizona. I graduated from ESU in 2012 and have worked in Arizona, Pennsylvania and South Korea. I’m very excited to start using Code.org. I don’t have any experience teaching computer science, but like some others, I have taken HTML in high school. I remember how fun it was to use and can’t wait for my students to share in the excitement. Lastly, my favorite ice cream flavor is soft serve pumpkin with hot fudge :slight_smile:

Hello I’m Richard from the Philippines, Nabunturan, Compostela Valley to be exact.
I teach Literature for a bunch of Grade Eleven students who specialized in Computer Programming.
I signed up for the course so that I could help myself understand the Computer Programming and how I can marry the two subject literature and computer programming.

Hello! My name is Gail Gallaher, and I am a first-year high school teacher at a small charter high school in San Francisco. My main subject is Biology, but my school is so small that I also teach an elective class. I chose to teach Drama this fall, but that ended up being a difficult class to take on as a first-year teacher still improving my classroom management, student relationships, and planning skills. I’m exploring the possibility of switching the elective to a CS/coding class for the spring. There might be a lot of advantages to that, but I’m trying to go in with eyes open so that I don’t naively take on a subject that turns out to be more challenging than I thought. (“The grass is greener on the other side” mindset.) So, that’s what I’m curious about here - what might be the most challenging parts of teaching this curriculum? Especially as 1) a first-year teacher 2) of 9th graders who are still learning how to be responsible students 3) in an urban school. What difficulties would I encounter that I might not be thinking about yet? What do you wish you knew when you started teaching CS? And, on the other side, what are reasons why I should take the plunge and try it? Thank you so much to anyone who replies or can point me in the direction of someone who can help!