Welcome to CS Discoveries: Introduce yourself

Hi! I’m Janae Ernst. I’ll be teaching CS Discoveries as enrichment to 7/8th graders once per week for one semester. Hoping to do a condensed unit 1 and unit 2 or 3. First time teaching, trying to figure out pacing and details, but excited!

1 Like

@hamzaakhan @stheisen @janae.ernst
Welcome to the teacher forum! We are here to help you as you navigate through your CS Discoveries journey. Return to the forum when you have questions or need assistance.

There are 5 Day summer workshops throughout the US if you are interested in a more in depth workshop.

In the meantime, these links might be helpful as you get started:

Jawanza Whitfield
7th Grade
Units 1, 2, and 3
I am looking forward to Unit 3

Hi, I’m Brad. I’m planning on teaching CS Discoveries to my 7/8 graders this spring. Would like to get at least the first 3 units in before school is out. I think that Unit 2 looks like the most fun but will keep open to the others. This will be the first time going through it and I am super excited to get started.

2 Likes

Welcome to the CS Discoveries community!

Unit 1 sets the groundwork and is important.
Unit 2 and 3 are both really fun. My students enjoyed them both.

1 Like

Hello Everyone,
My name is Brenda. I teach middle school 8th graders, Cyber Foundations II. This is my 1st year teaching CDS and third week teaching using Code.org.
Our classes are on a block schedule. So I have to teach, my students around, testing, screeners, testing and everything else.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Mike! I teach 5th - 8th grade students. I will be teaching Unit 3 this year. I am excited to learn these new skills with my students.

3 Likes

Hi, my name is Ethan.
I’m a brand new HS math teacher this year,
but I’m also teaching 7/8 grade for one class.
I was doing projects with Legos earlier in the year with two cohorts, one per trimester.
Now I’ll be taking those same two cohorts through a half trimester of intro to CS, so I’ll start with Unit 1. The design challenge of penny-boats is a wonderful place to start!

1 Like

Welcome Ethan! Please let us know how it’s going. Come back to the Teacher Forum with any questions or problems. We are here to help you. ~CeciliaZ

Brenda,
Welcome to the Teacher Forum. We are here to help. Let us know if you have any questions or problems.
Hope it’s going well. ~CeciliaZ

Hi Mike,
Welcome! Let us know if you have questions or need guidance.

I’m Sarah Bernard in Baltimore.

1 Like

Hi @sbernard
Welcome to the forum! I’m sure you’ll find great stuff here!!

Hello. I’m Annie I teach k-12. I’m excited to teach Computer Science next trimester.

Aloha
My name is Paul Holwegner and I teach middle school 6-8 grade. I am the technology integration coach. Looking forward to teaching and exploring CS discoveries

2 Likes

From Newcastle, Australia.

My name is Glenn Wirth
I am teaching CS to Grade 4,5 and 6. Four and five are using Fundamentals while six are utilising Discoveries.
I’ve completed Unit 1 with Year 6 and will attempt continue till the end of the units if possible.
The children are enjoying the content so I am looking forward to the positive engagement that Code.org will provide.

1 Like

Hi, My name is Chris Pollett. I will be teaching CS Discoveries to 6th through 8th graders using the suggested semester plan in 2023 for the first time. I have taught middle school for 16 years (Science and Social Studies).

1 Like

Welcome to the community.

Code.org offers 5 day summer workshops. Timing depends on the region your in.
Link for Professional Development offered by Code.org
Professional Learning Program Details | Code.org

I’m Cindy and teach grades 7-12 within an Autism Unit at Dapto High School in NSW, Australia. I am excited about being able to differentiate for individual students within my class.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, @cynthia.pryma ! I’m sure you’ll find some great resources and connections here!

1 Like