Welcome to CSA 22-23: Introduce Yourself!

Introduce yourself to the CSA teacher community!

• What is your name?
  • What grade levels do you teach?
  • What in CSA are you most excited about?

This is Ginny Listman, Computer Science Teacher at James Madison High School in Vienna VA. I teach 4 levels of CS with AP CS-A being the second level. Although I have a curriculum I have been using for 10 years or so, I am looking to switch to something that will accommodate my retirement. I plan on working through the code.org curriculum this summer to implement in the fall. Looking forward to collaborating with others!

1 Like

Ron here, will be bringing CS to my school here in Iowa for the first time with AP CSA and AP CSP. My primary role is as the Gifted and Talented instructor, but my previous background was in Information Technology and I am looking forward to getting some students introduced to CS (it is the 21st Century afterall…

1 Like

Hi fellow CSA Teachers. My name is Jane and I live and work in Jacksonville, Florida. I will be teaching CSA for the first time during the 2022-2023 school year for a small group of students. In all of my courses I teach grades 9-12, but CSA this year will probably have all seniors. I am looking forward to learning JAVA along with my students and giving them another AP Computer Course - I also teach AP CSP. This past year my AP CSP course was comprised of students in grades 10-12. I have been teaching computer courses for over 25 years and have seen a lot of positive changes. I am excited that Code.org has added CSA to their list of online courses available for students and that is is recognized by AP College Board.

1 Like

Hi - my name is Stephen - I teach in Montgomery CO, MD. I have been teaching for 30+ years, the past 15 in computer science. I am planning to try the Code.org CSA curriculum this year to better reach all of my students and to hopefully help hold their engagement with the content. I am looking for any other Code.org CSA teachers who also use Canvas as a LMS to share ideas with as well.

1 Like

Ian McKenzie
After 16 years at the middle school level, I am making the jump to high school.
I am brand new to Java and CSA - I am excited about learning more about the subject and working hard to stay two weeks ahead of them. The curriculum looks great and very user friendly.

2 Likes

Hi! My name is George. I live and work in Rhode Island. I will be teaching CSA for the first time to 11th and 12th grade students in the upcoming school year. I have a little experience with JAVA having taught an Intro to JAVA class to 10th grade students this past school year. I have also taught the CS Discoveries course from code.org to middle school students. I am excited about this opportunity and am looking forward to using the code.org curriculum.

2 Likes

Hello CSA Community! My name is Joanna and I teach CSA, CSP, and an Introduction to CS using Python at Dike-New Hartford High School in Iowa. I look forward to the CSA training I will participating in this summer as I believe code.org CSA will be more accessible for students to learn Java while investigating Computer Science as a creative and collaborative endeavor.

2 Likes

Hello, my name is Chris and I teach IB Computer Science at Columbia River High School in Vancouver, Washington. For the past two years I have made the first year of my IB Course the same as the AP CSA course and had my students taking the AP test. I look forward to having more structure this year using the code.org curriculum.

Hello, I’m Nick Genereux, and I teach mainly middle school and high school computer science. I have taught MS/HS math, HS science, college math and science, and K5 computer science as well, as our school district is quite tiny. I’m really excited to bring Java coding to the school, as it is the next step to connecting students to meaningful projects in coding and gaming

I’m Christine Petrou from Southfield Michigan. I teach AP CSA and used to teach CSP. I also am a math teacher which fills up the rest of my schedule with Pre-AP Algebra 1. I look forward to tackling this new course!

John Mortensen, San Diego, Del Norte HS, 10-12 grade, most of my CSA are second year CompSci students which makes class more fun.

Mr. Melvin Dukes here of Augusta, GA and I’m teaching High School CS for the first time and I am extremely nervous. I WANT to be excited, but I can’t find the excitement because there’s so much I don’t know in teaching this course.

Hi, I’m Bill Lucas. I teacher one class of AP CSA and four Biology classes at Cass Technical High School in downtown Detroit, MI. AP CSA has mostly seniors and the Biologies are 10th graders.

I’m excited to use the new Code.org curriculum after having used another one for three years pre-pandemic. I have only about a dozen kids in it this year, and it’s no longer 1st hour, so their attention level and their share of my attention should both be greater this time.

I’m an old fart, but i’ve been teaching for only 7 years. My previous career was as a corporate computer guy. I did a lot of programming for a few years, but AP CSA made me learn Java.

Hi All,
My name is Rupali. I am teaching APCSA this year. Thanks for all the help and support Code.org.

Hello everyone :slight_smile:
I’m Eleanor. It’s my second time teaching CSA, but my first time teaching with this curriculum.

Hello, my name is Carl Shuptrine. I am in my 18th year teaching and currently teach Computer Science and Media Arts at Jackson Hole High School in Jackson, WY. I have been teaching CSP to grades 9-12 for 4 years now and I am excited to finally have a CSA course from Code.org to offer my students!

Welcome to all of the new teachers, and new to Code.org teachers! My name is Lindsay, I teach in Boise Idaho. I have been teaching CSA for 5 years, and got to do the Code.org CSA pilot last year. I’m excited to have another year of using this curriculum!

1 Like

Hello! My name is Doug, I teach physics and computer science at Indian Creek School near Annapolis, Maryland. I’ve been using Code.org’s CSP curriculum since its inception. This will be my 7th year teaching CSA. I’ve jumped around to different curricula/texts and haven’t settled on something that can engage the wide variety of skill levels I typically have in my class. In previous years I’ve used the APCSAwesome curriculum on Runestone, Java Methods by Litvins, How to Think Like a Computer Scientist by Downey, and Big Java by Horstmann.

I’m really enjoying teaching Code.org’s Unit 1 so far, the objects-first approach is great and very visual. Looking forward to diving into some of the projects later in the course with the students. I’m hoping I can find a way for a handful of strong students to move ahead in the course on their own, or perhaps work on additional assignments. One drawback for me is that their units are not aligned with the AP units, and that makes it more difficult to use the AP progress checks. That seems like a missed opportunity to easily infuse a lot of authentic AP practice into the course, but I suppose that is the tradeoff with their take on the pedagogy and order of topics.

Thanks to the Code.org team for putting together a comprehensive curriculum :slight_smile:

1 Like