ECS Forum Introductions (16-17 school year)

Hello. I am Anita Kaddoura and I have been teaching mathematics for 11 years. I have been teaching at Liberty High School for the past 8 years. I like, to travel, watch sports, and working on computer science projects.

Hi There.
I am Rudy Gawron. I teach CS and Video Game Design at Royal Palm Beach High School in Royal Palm Beach Florida. I enjoy golf, fishing and beer.

Seriously, I also enjoy watching the “light come on” when a student succeeds. My canned response is “…hey, how does THAT feel?..”
The answer is ALWAYS… Awesome, Mr G !

Hi all,

I’m coming up on my 4th year teaching at Everett High School in Everett, WA. This past year I taught AP Computer Science A, Robotics Technology, and Computer Applications. Previous courses included, Web Design and Programming 1. Next year I’ll be adding ECS to my list of preps :slight_smile:

Along with a full time teaching job, I’m also an FRC (First Robotics Competition) coach - which means an EXTREMELY busy Winter/Spring building robots.

Rudy - I love your canned response… might have to adopt it!

Hello Shelly,
I saw you were from the Navajo Nation. My first three years as a teacher were spent in Monument Vally Utah. I used to drive to K-town for groceries before Gouldings put a grocery store in Monument Valley. What a beautiful place to be. It’s a very challenging place to be a teacher at too.

Hello,

I’m Troy Fernley. I teach at North Star Academy in Utah. We are a K-9 school. I currently teach College and Career Awareness, Business Website Design, Computer Technology, Creative Writing, Yearbook/Desktop Publishing, and Keyboarding. I’m excited to be able to add Exploring Computer Science to my repertoire.

I started out teaching eighteen years ago as an English teacher. I morphed into a technology teacher when I experienced how fun and rewarding it is to infuse technology into the classroom.

Susan Burbank will start my 10th year of teaching in the Business area; currently teaching 8th grade at Clark Pleasant Middle School in Greenwood, IN. I love to read & spend time outside! I am just starting to get into Coding & am very excited at what the future holds for my students.

Would love to correspond on how you are incorporating Digital Arts & video Production with Middle School curriculum. I am starting my 2nd year with Middle School students. sburbank@cpcsc.k12.in.us

:smiley:- Thank you for your message. I find it heart warming when people can remember more than a challenging teaching experience. The land is an attraction. I hope that you are doing well. Keep in touch if you have any questions or comments and hopefully I will have the answer for you.
This ECS curriculum is very different that what I originally thought. Now I have to go back and meet with my Admin and educate them.
I have 2 days left of this ECS professional development.

Pickle all is kind of like a human size version of ping pong-easier than tennis :slight_smile:

I live in Providence, UT (Cache Valley, by Logan and Utah State University)

I have been in education for 48 years. I just can’t seem to ever finish. This fall I will teach (facilitate) at the new Ridgeline High School in Millville, UT. I will teach ten courses that I have never taught before including ECS. 37 years ago I started programming BASIC on a Commodore PET computer with a cassette tape for storage and have also used punch cards. Of my 48 yrs. in education I have taught 31 yrs. Two of those years at the Utah Schools for the Deaf and 29 in middle school. My field is technology and engineering and have coached VEX robotics teams for six years. I love teaching because I love learning and it thrills me to see students share that passion.

I have four children and four grandchildren with another one due in October. My hobbies include woodworking, construction, yard work and tinkering.

Hello I am Jacqueline from Virginia. I have been teaching for 25 years and I am excited about teaching ECS next school year. I enjoy reading and listening to all types of music

This sounds great! When I start recruiting I will be working hard to recruit girls into the program

I would love to know what your Robotics curriculum looks like

My name is David Mizrahi and I am a 4th year teacher in Montgomery County, Maryland. I have been teaching Foundations of Technology at the high school level for the past three years and I am looking forward to the challenge of teaching Code.org computer science and technology in my school. I love science and science fiction and enjoy watching movies and reading books on these subjects during my breaks.

My name is Sharon Ball and I teach Digital Electronics and Robotics in Baltimore City. I am looking forward to teaching and engaging students in CS application.

Hi, I am David Platt. I have been teaching for 15 years. I teach world language and computer courses to all levels in high school. This last year I began a GenYes program on our campus to train student technology leaders. In the past I have taught Web Development and Computer Applications. I love my family, I love teaching, I love Star Wars.

My name is Donna Pawlik. I teach English language learners and am excited to help them tackle computer science!

Hello,

My name is Noureddine Lalami. I am business and computer science teacher at Freedom High School in Oakley CA. My hobbies and pastime is to teach students :smile:
No actually, I like to travel, play with my toddler, bake, and learn new tech skills.

Hi Anita,

Just saw your post. Hope you are having a great summer.

My name is Michael Rodriguez. I have just completed my third year of teaching. I teach Foundations of Web Design, Foundations of Game & Simulation, Game & Simulation programming and Intro to Info tech. I am excited about learning more and how to provide great assistance to my classes.