ECS Forum Introductions (16-17 school year)

Hi everyone! My name is Crystal Bohan and I am a business teacher at Nova High School. I am excited to learn about computer science and have an interest in technology. My hobbies include spending time with my family, reading, and traveling.

My name is Mike Dunkley. I have taught four years at Sand Ridge Jr. High in Roy, Utah. This year I am moving to teach at Bonneville High School.

During my summers off I have written and published a thriller trilogy: Through Mud & Monsters, Out of the Earth & Through the Winter, & Past Cities & Sorrow.

I have also traveled to several foreign counties: Japan, Dominican Republic, Thailand, Mexico, and Vietnam.

What state do you teach in? I wish Utah would allow Video Production courses at the junior high/middle school level.

Good day! My name is Xenia Callier. I am a middle school technology teacher at Key Middle School (Houston ISD). This is my 2nd year teaching. I will teach ECS to 8th grade students. I love all things that deal with technology and music. I am excited to be apart of the program!

Iā€™m Peter Newbold and I teach at Jordan High School in Sandy, Utah. Iā€™ve taught math for 10 years and look forward to teaching a computer science course this upcoming year.

My name is Carrie Winland. I have been teaching middle school math for 3 years. Last year I partnered with code.org to teach the computer science in algebra course to my 8th grade algebra class. I am the varsity swimming coach for the local high schools. I enjoy spending time with my family, running, and reading.

Hi my name is Matt Feiler. I currently teach 8th Grade Science in Hollywood, Florida. Next year I will be teaching several sections of Exploring Computer Science to our middle school students. I have taught the middle school modules in the past and am looking forward to teaching the course at a HS level.

Hello Everyone,
I am Tanesha Forbes, currently I teach Exploring Computer Science and AP Computer Science. I have been teaching for 11 years, but this is my first year here in Montgomery County.

My favorite activities are playing dominoes and netball. Other than those two, I am forever on my computer :smile:

Hello Matt,
Itā€™s nice to meet you. I taught middle school for 2 years, it was ok but I prefer high school.

Hello Peter,
Thanks for your post. Computer science has a lot of math incorporated in it and it focuses on problem solving, so I believe the transition should be very easy.

All the best.

Iā€™m looking to move to high school ASAP.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Wanda Jones and I have been teaching at the middle school level in the subject area of computer science for the past 17 years. In my free time, I enjoy traveling and exploring around the country and abroad. I am looking forward to bringing computer programming to our next generation of learners.

Hi Crystal,

Itā€™s great to see a familiar name/place. We are neighbors, I teach at Nova Middle. Looking forward to working with you this summer!

-Wanda

Hi everyone!

My name is Georgette Perez. I teach Mathematics at Savanna High School here in Anaheim, CA, and have just turned in my keys, thus am now in Summer Mode! In my non teaching time, I like to read, crochet, play/listen to music, explore the outdoors with family and friends.

Looking forward to start on a new adventure with this curriculum!

Hi everyone! My name is Heidi Esplin and I just finished my third year teaching. I am the Technology and Graphic arts teacher at Venture High School, an expeditionary learning school (only EL high school in Utah). I teach Digital Media, Digital Photography, 3D Graphics & Animation, Yearbook and Computer Tech - but now ECS. I am really excited to learn all I can about ECS, I believe this is a great step toward enhancing our students knowledge in technology.

I find this to be a great opportunity for teachers to join an online professional learning community.

My name is Hadassah and I teach Math and Science (Gifted students, grades 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th) at a Title 1 elementary school in North Miami Beach, FL. My classroom setting is loud, warm and fun. I want for my students to look forward to coming back to our ā€œspecial learning spaceā€ everyday or better yet, I want them to feel like they donā€™t want to ever leave. As a teacher, Iā€™m always curious about learning new ways to teach my students thus I envision that adding Computer Science to my school curriculum will be a great asset.

Greetings. My name is Ken Jenkins an I teach in the Paradise Valley Schools District. I have completed my 13th year of teaching and I am facilitating Technology classes to middle school students. I like the outdoors, enjoy my dogs, and bicycle when I find time. I am looking forward to working with my peer professionals and am always looking for ways to become a better teacher.

Salutations Amigos,

My name is Miguel J. Herrera and I teach at the Center for Computer Studies @ Carl Hayden High School. I currently teach Computer Fundamentals and Innovative Technologies and coach football and basketball. While I am not teaching, I am a full time father and husband. Im looking forward to this workshop.

Hello> My name is MIchele Delgado. Iā€™ve been teaching art and computers for 16 years in the Center for Computer Studies. I love art, art history, my husband and son and my german shepards. And my mac.

Hello,
My name is Jonathan Huelsman. I teach math at Perris Lake High School. I have worked the majority of my teaching career in alternative education. If Iā€™m not working, I am with my family.