(iZone) Computer Science in Science PD: What to Expect #4

Hi. My name is Brandon Grossman. This is my first year teaching science in NYC. I teach in MS 88. I believe that STEM education will provide students with the interest and ability to transform their lives and the world around them.

Hi everyone,
My name is Cristine Maisano, I teach 6th, 7th and 8th grade self-contained science at the Bronx Writing Academy. I have taught for the past three years and have done ICT and SC in the past. I have no experience with coding, though I’ve been intrigued by it and wanted to incorporate it in my classroom for some time now. I’m excited for the opportunity to be able to do so with the support of other teachers.
Best,
Cristine

My name is Chris Jacob and am a certified ELA teacher (7-12). I have been teaching for 7 years and teaching software Engineering for one year. I’m excited to grow and learn in this field. This is a very exciting opportunity.

Hi my name is Randal. I have been teaching in a K-8 School for the past 7 years. As a substitute teacher I taught K-8 Math, Science, ELA and Social Studies. For the past 5 years I have been teaching General Science in grades 7 and 8. I also teach Earth Science and Living Environment Regents in our accelerated program. I have always blended technology in teaching science, using videos, interactive labs and video games to help student engagement and understanding of difficult concepts. I have done this mostly through my own research as well as from background knowledge from my “Teaching with Technology degree.” I am extremely excited about getting a better understanding of blended learning through this PD and welcome the opportunity to learn from my peers.

Hi Karen:

I am a 7th and 8th grade Science at PS 189, The Bilingual Center, East New York, Brooklyn. I am also excited to be a part of this program and I am confident that the children we teach will benefit from our knowledge and experience gained in this program. Certainly, I have seen the increased level of engagement of students when technology is blended with Science as well as the improved understanding gained in Science content.

Greetings! My name is Greg Sciame. This is my 9th year teaching at I.S. 318 Eugenio Maria de Hostos Academy of Arts and Sciences. I taught science (Earth to 8th grade, Physical to 6th grade, & Life to 7th grade) for the first 7 years of my career at I.S. 318. Starting last year I began teaching a S.T.E.M. course to mostly SP 7th grade classes. Topics in my STEM class include computer science (introductory JavaScript via codecademy.com), Computer Aided Design (various 3D & architecture projects using Google SketchUp), 3D printing, Mechatronics (building and programming circuits with Parallax kits), & video game design using AgentSheets (after video games, science simulations are also possible with AgentSheets). I took some introductory CS at Georgia Tech, but most of the things that I currently teach I have learned in the past few years through various PD opportunities (like BLI!). Hopefully next year I can incorporate code.org resources into my curriculum. I like how on code.org you can track student progress. I can’t do that on Code Academy, and most of the projects that my students turn in, I have to organize & open up individually which takes A LOT of time.

Hey Brandon, I know a math teacher at your school (Mr. Cohen). He and I started teaching in NYC the same year, but at different schools. Anyway I’ve taught science for 7 years and STEM for 2 years. Let me know if you need any resources for your science classes (greg.sciame@gmail.com). If you haven’t already met Jared (Mr. Cohen), say hi…he’s a really nice guy. I think he might be running for the union rep assistant position at your school soon.

My name is Sewoong Youn and I have been teaching JHS 189 for five years. I studied bology and currently teaching 6, 7, and 8 grade science.
I just became a father on June 4th.
Youn

Hi, my name is Christine Singh and I am a first year New York City Teaching Fellow. I teach 8th grade math and science at P.S 89 in the Bronx. I am quite adaptive to technology and love implementing it into my classroom. Although I have little experience/knowledge with Computer Science I am very excited to start this course!

Hey Brandon,

Reading through these posts, i felt i was the only first year teacher! Glad to know i am not the only one. :wink:

Hi, my name is Maria Pena, and I am a Math and Science teacher in a Bilingual setting. I currently work in a middle school in NYC. This community allowed me to be more up-to-date with new techniques, but this community allows me to improve my teaching strategies in order to create more rigorous lessons for my students.

Hi, my name is Amanda Bauman. I am a first year teacher in Manhattan and I teach 7th and 8th grade science. Next year my school, MS260 is moving to a new building and will have increased access to technology. I love learning new ways to teach and getting ideas for new lessons.

Hi My name is Chris, I have been teaching for 7 years . I am a certified English teacher teaching computer science ( 2nd year). I hope to grow and learn in the CODE curriculum . Hi everyone…

Hi Christine,
I was in Cohort 23 of NYC Teaching Fellows. My good news is that I received tenure this year. Hope your first year went well and just curious where you are going to school and what your license area is.
Best,
Cristine

Hello,

My name is Clemencia Acevedo, I work at Urban Science Academy 9x325 (Bronx, NY). This is my second year teaching since I graduated from Fordham University. I have dual certification - General- extension Social Studies and Special Education. I have been in self-contained and ICT settings consisting of ELLs student population too.

This year I taught science to 7th and 6th graders. I’m pretty good with technology and made use of wikispaces, gmail, google drive- google docs, easel.ly and powerpoint presenting with my students. My students loved using technology as part of lear learning and demonstrating knowledge and skills to my and their peers.

I look forward to learning what CODE.org offers to me as an instructor and to my students.

Thank you.
Clemencia Acevedo

Hello, all!

My name is Sam Keener, I am just finishing up my first year as a math teacher in Brownsville, Brooklyn, and I can’t wait to start incorporating computer science into my curriculum next year. I grew up programming, and I have always appreciated how practicing my computer science skills has helped my problem solving abilities in other areas, and I am eager to relate that experience to my kids.

A fellow Relayer! I have a lot of experience with coding (albeit from years ago) so feel free to ask me anything.

Hi. My name is Naomi Weintraub. I teach middle school science in Staten Island. I have been teaching for 28 years. The last computer coding class I took was pascal in college. Basic was not even invented yet. I am looking forward to bringing myself out of the dark ages and my students into the future.

Hi Joanne,

I’m getting married this summer as well! Congrats!

Kristin

Hi Everyone! My name is Maddie Child. I’ve been teaching 6th grade at the Bronx Writing Academy for seven years. I spent the first three years teaching ELA, and the last four teaching science. Although I use laptops frequently in class, I have no experience with coding. I’m looking forward to learning, and hopefully using it to increase my students’ engagement and career-readiness in the future.