U1 Day 5-7: PD Discussion Topic

I really plan to use the video as an eye opener but probably start off the lesson by sitting students in pairs next to people they do not regularly talk to and then tell them that this person is now the only person they can talk to for the rest of the day or their grade will be an F for the class. I would be curious to see which ones do/don’t stay with that person the rest of the day but would explain the reasoning behind using the “filter bubble” video.

To engage students in the scavenger hunt, I will change the topics so that they are more relevant to my students lives and also to try to get them to use websites other than google such as our school’s library website or college board’s search features for colleges.

1 Like

I believe I am going to have my students evaluate websites that they use most often and determine whether they are user friendly or not and make a scavenger hunter geared more towards each student’s likes/dislikes

I wonder if the unique search results will occur using our school network. It will make for an interesting lesson to use the school laptops that are reset and cleared after each use to search a topic and then have students use their phones to search the same thing. What are the differences in results? Why? How?

I really enjoyed the filter bubble video and feel that it will introduce my students to the idea that information is being filtered based on passed searches. I hope that will garner new conversations and opinions

I plan to keep students engaged by creating short research activities in which students search the web and find examples of web 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 websites. Students will share their findings via a gallery walk.

Students will be in groups and research a Web 2.0 app as well as a ‘Web 3.0’. They will then share their facts and opinions with the class as a group.

Agree. I think they will be engaged by the scavenger hunt

I plan on having my students pair-share and discuss the websites they use and the way they use social media. In addition, they will present their findings to a larger group.

I am going to have my students research a few websites and create a poster that reflects their websites. I will assign each group web 1.0, 2.0, or 3.0 as well as assign the groups a website. After they have completed this assignment then I will give them a quiz. The quiz will be done on my moodle page and will have one question that is multiple choice, “The moodle page is Web ____” A.) 1.0 B.) 2.0 C.) 3.0 D.) 4.0 ANSWER B
It will count as participation for the day because a journal entry will also be included to reflect on their choice.

This is part of my lesson that has the students accessing the Web 2.0 video.
Students will be able to watch the following video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iStkxcK6_vY copy the associated video guide to their homework/classwork folder, complete the guide and document the discussion with their shoulder partner regarding their responses.

The following are parts of my lessons which address filter bubbles.
Students will be able to watch the first 6 minutes of the following video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsjQLB_jTBA copy the associated video guide to their homework/classwork folder, complete the guide and document the discussion with their shoulder partner regarding their responses.

and

Students will read about Facebook’s response to the concern over filter bubbles as they read the following response article and add to their 9/1 discussion doc. http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2015/07/09/facebook_news_feed_finally_lets_you_choose_which_friends_posts_to_see_first.html
Each student will add their comments regarding how good of a job Facebook did regarding addressing the current concerns regarding automated filtering of information provided to members of Facebook.

I will mostly likely do a web search similar to “Egypt” and then probably a scavenger hunt. We will also talk about what you should look for when analyzing websites to help you determine if it’s a good, legal and/or reputable website or not.

To me this is new. I will go over some of ideas suggested by others. I will look online to find other resources.

I would like my students to categorize websites based on the type (1.0,2.0 etc). In addition to this, we will have a classroom discussion on the video as well as reflections on instances where the “filter bubble” has affected them.

I have crossed this lesson with the computer buying presentations, so they do some of this and we do some presentations as well.

I’ll definitely show the Filter Bubble Ted Talks video and share the current responses by Facebook article. This will lead to a discussion on filtering - should internet web sites filter user results? Perhaps an experiment where everyone looks up the same word on a Google search and follow with a gallery walk.

To keep students engaged in this lesson I think it is important to have then look or search for things they are interested in learning about. This is similar to what I try and do with curriculum in my class. If I can tie it to students interests somehow engagement goes way up.

Robert

I think showing the video is a great idea. I have to admit its kind of creepy to me that much data is being tracked all the time. Also the isolation of information for individuals can also be really damaging to society I think.

I want to let the students have a mini-discussion on whether filtering search results is a good or bad thing (whether it’s automated/algorithmic filtering, or manual user filtering).

Agree or disagree:
I suppose that even when users get to fully control what they do and do not see they will cater their results/sources to what they already agree with while blinkering the results/sources that they already disagree with.

Both of the videos were interesting, although the Ted Talk was more current and attention grabbing for students. It certainly posed some ideas to think about. I may have the students all run a search for a topic on the same search engine and see if the results varied as the video suggested.