Unit 2 Web Development Lesson 9

My students are having problems in lesson 9: Project Multi-Page Websites-hyperlinks are linking to a blank white page. I have reviewed their code, and it is written correctly. It seems that refreshing the page works sometimes. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

@mary_wiora I’ve had the same issue with my students. It took me a long time to get it figured out. If students have any errors at all on either the page they are linking from or the page they are linking too, they will get this blank white page. If they click on the link and nothing happens, then it is an error with the link code. If they click on the link and get the white page, look for errors somewhere in the code for both the page linking from and the page linking to. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Mary,

Did that work? Just checking in!

Brad

​Yes! Thank you so much for checking. All of my students were able to fix their links!

1 Like

Hi! I am having the same issue with my students…It appears that their actual websites work properly, it just isn’t working properly in the portal.

Is this indicative of a similar issue or is there just something wrong with the portal?

1 Like

​My students really had to look at the code and debug in order for their web pages to link in Code Studio. If students links were “doing nothing”, then it was a problem with the code for the hyperlink. If the code went to a “white page”, then there were
errors anywhere on the pages linking to or from.

students are having an issue when they share your webpages they do not open up, I have personally got through all the codes and find nothing wrong… any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Cynthia

Caharris,

Welcome to the forum! Sorry for the trouble - any chance you can share a link to the students project (even if the links don’t work) so the community can help debug?

Thanks!
Brad

https://codeprojects.org/D5rLl7Lgba5sfC8_DkxSQ7Ojh92CvJG7la8D8bZpg1I/

THANK YOU

Hi Cynthia,

Can you specify what’s not working on this page? Everything is working right for me, although I do notice some issues with there being html in a head tag when it should be in the body tag, as well as some text or images that are not nested into paragraph or list item tags. I’m not sure what’s causing the problems with the links, though, because I don’t see any problems.

Thanks,
Elizabeth

I have multiple students who are currently having issues with the Lesson 9 Hyperlink assignments. Their Hyperlinks will work some of the time, or only one way, even though they are copy and pasting the code from a HTML page with links that work.

Here is a link to one of the student pages with the issue described.

I would greatly appreciate some help! This is my first year teaching coding, and I am completely befuddled with this one.

Hi Amber,

Can you click on the share button and copy the link? I am unable to see the students code so can’t help yet with this problem.

Thank you,
Karen

https://codeprojects.org/phrbLkJJakZyfqtPEEMoLceq4NErbytrdDWFu0FH8N0

Does this work? I’m still new to all of this.

@adunn

I took a look at that page and it appears that all of the hyperlinks are working. Is there a specific one you are having problems with? The bottom ones link to the CC license page and the top ones do link to different pages in the student website.

Let us know if you are seeing something different and we would be happy to explore further!

Thanks,

Mike

So, almost all of my student’s webpages are having the same problem. The navigation/hyperlinks will not work in the web lab program; however, if I click into their later lesson and get the share link and copy their webpage into a new tab outside of Code Studio, the hyperlinks will work. I don’t understand why it will not work for them in web lab though.

Thank you for your support! I wish I knew what we were doing wrong in web lab, but I guess it is somewhat working.

If a student has any errors (pink code) in either the page they are linking to or the page they are linking from, then their links will not work correctly within WebLab. If you open the page in its own tab, outside of WebLab, then the links work. The best way to know if this is the problem is if you click on the links in WebLab and they take you to a blank, white page. This means it is an error in the code somewhere on the page. If you click on the link and nothing happens at all, then it’s an error with the link code itself.

Hi,

Thanks for the speedy reply, but there was not helpful. When I click the “share” button to obtain the link that is generated by code.org, it will not load when you text the link to a cellphone or copy and paste to a web browser.

Please, could you send me some additional information?

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Hi @ldfulton,

Have you checked through the code for errors (pink code or other symbols next to the lines)? If there are any errors in the code, it won’t load on any other browser.

Have you gotten it to work for other students’ pages, or is this restricted to one student?

The last thing I’d recommend trying is maybe switching web browsers, in case the one you’re using got a glitchy update or something.

Let us know if that solves it or if you require further assistance.

Thanks,
–Michael K.

Hi @ldfulton,
Take a look at this article and see if it helps with the sharing problems. Maybe it’s the piece to the puzzle?