ECS Forum Introductions (16-17 school year)

And I forgot to say hello to Everyone.

Hi my name is Alicia Kostecki. I teach a technology class at an elementary school in Chicago, mostly to the middle school students. Iā€™ve been including computer science in my class for the past 6 or 7 years, and am taking the ECS course to get a better understanding of what Iā€™m preparing my students for, since ECS is now a required course at all Chicago Public high schools.

Hello. I am Michelle Monaco. I am new to teaching ECS. I enjoy reading,traveling, and cooking. I like jazz music and I play the piano.

Hi all! Iā€™m a little late to the game but I will be teaching ECS and CSP next year in Oakland, CA! I hope that we continue to use this forum so we can continue to support one another over the school year.

Hello all, Iā€™m Keith and next year will be my first year teaching Computer Science. Iā€™ve taught Special Ed for thirteen years in Chicago Public Schools but have been co-leading our STEAM Club and playing with electronics and 3D printers and making for several years, including Raspberry Pi and Arduino and simple synthesizers (getlofi, synthrotek), but I never have enough time. So Iā€™m happy to take this chance to turn my hobby into my teaching focus, and Iā€™m excited to get started.

Hi everyone. My name is Alia and this will be my 2nd year teaching Computer Science at Alliance Academy Middle School in east Oakland for 6th graders. My first year was spent doing Googleā€™s CS First (highly recommend it, is very student friendly, fun, and full of learning opportunities!), so I am really excited to try something new this year and expand my own knowledge of computer science!

Hi. My name is David Pappas. I teach at Taft High School. I enjoy travel, meeting new cultures and working with high school freshmen.

1 Like

HI, I am Sharon and I am returning to classroom after being out for nearly 8 years. Looking forward to learning and teaching how computer science has changed our lives. Enjoy spending time with family and vacationing.

Hi all! My name is Joe Graciosa and I teach at Chicago Tech Academy High School. I taught chemistry last year and this will be my first year teaching ECS. Looking forward to it!

Hi! My name is William Juang and I teach at Life Academy of Health and Bioscience in Oakland. I teach in the middle school for 7th and 8th grade. I teach integrated science for the two grade levels and I am very excited to integrate computer science and technology into the 8th grade curriculum. I hope to connect with you all in the future!

My name is Gerard Hargraves. I am getting ready to start my 4th year of teaching. I was born and raised in San Francisco and now currently live in Oakland. I taught computer technology for the past two years but was not given any real structure, so I am excited to have some direction and teach more of the things I find fascinating about computer. Some of my hobbies include, drawing, graphic design, puzzles, putting together models, and I dabble in other computer things like web design, some coding, and 3-D modeling. As you can tell I love being creative so I hope I can translate my passion for learning and creativity to my students this year.
Peace.

Hello Everyone. My name is Raymond Gora. I have been a teacher for 24 years in the Chicago Public Schools. My teacher experience in includes computer science, mathematics & driver education.

Hello,
My name is Elena Martyn and I work at Life Academy in Oakland, CA. I am going into my 5th year of teaching high school math and my first year of CS. Tomorrow I will start my first PD for CS, I am scared, nervous, and anxious to start this journey.

Hey,

My name is Tyjun Mack. I go by ā€œTyā€ and I am teaching at CCPA (Coliseum College Prep Academy). I have been teaching for 7 years. I have taught English primarily, but has worked as a DTL in the district the past 3 years. This will be my first year teaching Computer Science. I have a very old background in Computer Science so basically everything is pretty new to me. I am definteily looking forward to the challenge and looking forward to having a productive year.

Hi Everyone,
My name is Mike Ocampo. I am a 4th year teacher that is taking on the challenge of teaching CS at my site. I currently work in Monterey County, California. I double as a teacher and Educational Technology Coordinator for my district. I am excited to gain some good 411 at our PD session and learn with my fellow teachersā€¦See you tomorrow!

My name is Rick Frey, Iā€™ve been a teacher for a long time, lots of different classes, topics and contexts for teaching. Iā€™ve been focusing on Tech Instruction over the last bunch of years and will be teaching an intro to CS class for 9th graders at Oakland Technical High School.

My name is Gurdaber Sanghera. I am one of the computer/technology teachers in the Liberty Union High School District, in the city of Brentwood, Contra Costa, East Bay. In my school I have taught Keyboarding; Microsoft Office Basics; Web Publishing; and a computer repair class. I donā€™t really have a past time. I am a father of four and a very busy dad, but things are going to change soon. Iā€™m going spend more time having fun and living/enjoying life, while I still have my health.

Iā€™m so glad, Iā€™m not the only one burning he mid-light only :-)ā€¦look like your coming to your school for the training

Hi! I am a new teacher at Oakland Technical High this year. I am very excited to be invited to be a part of the new 9th grade CS initiative!

I have a CS degree, have worked in IT, consulting, and technical recruiting off and on over the last 17 years as I raised my 4 daughters. Last year I decided to try substitute teaching for BUSD and OUSD. I am beyond thankful to have discovered that I LOVE teaching!

I am excited to be able to be a part of a curriculum that works to include minorities and women and promotes computational theory and thinking as accessible by everyone, because it is accessible! Not only can we bring computational thinking to the table for students to have a broader understanding of what CS is, but we can bring it to the table as a subject that has the potential to bolster all of their core subjects throughout our studentā€™s academic careers.

Donā€™t get me started! I am a little passionate about tech and CS and their accessibility for all students, no matter their age, race, gender, or education level. :slight_smile:

I also trail run for my sanity, hike and camp for my therapy, and bake to win friends and manipulate my kids and family! I love to help my family and friends build things and Iā€™m crazy about fixing anything that is broken myself. Donā€™t tell me to take it into the shop, Iā€™ll prove to you I didnā€™t need to!

Iā€™m looking forward to meeting everyone in the workshop! - Amy

Hi everyone! :smile: My name is Anwar Abdallah, and I am a Special Education and science teacher at Chicago Tech Academy High School. I absolutely love my kids (yes, students), and enjoy travelling, dancing, sociallizing, photography, and baking/eating! This will be my first year teaching CS, and Iā€™m looking forward to it!