U1 Day 5-7: PD Discussion Topic

We will allow students to create their ideal Web 3.0 learning scenario on various topics.

I plan to have the students keep a journal of the websites they visit and to classify them as 1.0, 2.0, or 3.0. A also really like the scanvenger hunt. Someone suggested using this with English class. I really like that idea and will look into that more

I like the idea of using the Scavenger hunt, it seems like a nice change-up for the students and would be very engaging.

I will follow the lesson outline, adding additional resources videos, internet sites that apply if available. I will group students in teams of two or more and allow them to present their finding from investigating the differences in sites that i will provide for their research.

Given that I teach inner-city students, who generally do not have the level of access that other students do, I will spend a bit more time on teaching how to do effective searches, as it can help them with research. 3 S’s - Simple, Short, Specific. And what the TedTalk calls a Filter, I refer to as a PLN (Personal Learning Network), which will tie in nicely to the 3 S’s, as well as doing a critical analysis/critique of a website, which could be taken further into ISTE Nets+ of personal safety of searching for one’s self to see what kind of information may already be out there about the student themselves, especially the older ones as they prepare to apply to jobs and colleges, as nothing is private anymore, thanks to the Internet.

1 Like

I wanted to point out that Tadalist.com is no longer available. Since I have 28 students in my class, I wanted to have 7 groups of 4 so I needed to come up with multiple new resources. Here’s what I have.

Group 1 - Social Bookmarking: delicious.com

Group 2 - Word Cloud: wordle.net

Group 3 - List Creation: rememberthemilk.com

Group 4 - Social Bookmarking: stumbleupon.com

Group 5 - Word Cloud: tagxedo.com

Group 6 - List Creation: wunderlist.com

Group 7 - Social Bookmarking: diigo.com

Hope this helps!

1 Like

I want to have them identify different sources of the Web 1,2,3. From there, they can determine which one that they use the most but also how they would use the others.

Assign Web 1.0, Web 2.0, and Web 3.0 to separate groups, and have them to do presentations describing each. They should include examples as to how they use each one in their everyday lives.

1. Introduction of the three different webs.
  2. Discussion about them – pros and cons.
  3. Online searches to actually “see” how their results differ when searching the same topic.
  4. Downloading the Zillow app and testing it around their neighborhood with their smart phones or tablets. Reporting their findings to the class.
  5. Students will actually customize their own Facebook page and see the changes.

I think it would be interesting to have the students do exactly the same Google search and then compare screen shots of the results, The example in the filter bubble video of the search for “Egypt” was thought-provoking. When the students use the rubric to evaluate Web sites, it would be valuable to include an example of a satirical site.

I believe students will remain engaged during this lesson because it requires them to use the Internet to look for information and also participate in other online activities. A word cloud site that I have used in the past is tagxedo.com.

The scavenger hunt doesn’t seem to be student centered. I think I will make the scavenger hunt like a “mad libs” where they get to fill in the blank of what they want to search for. For example, instead of 1.) A picture of the mayor of your town or city…I would change it to 1) A picture of (a school appropriate celebrity)_____. Then, each group will swap lists. I think students will have a ton of fun creating their lists, and will also create more variety in search techniques.

I want my students to know and understand how to discern the difference between reliable and unreliable websites. My school district has blocked the Martin Luther King Jr website that actually is a hate site. I have my students do a short quiz on their academic knowledge of MLK Jr before so they realize they do have a gfood deal of prior knowledge on MLK Jr before we review the site.
Then we discuss how they could identify other sites that are misleading on subjects that they are not currently well versed.

I will use the scavenger hunt and also have students research things that are of interest to them as long as they meet the school’s guidelines and regulations.

I may ask students how they get their information in real life: If you’re only talking to a few people, and you talk to the same ones over and over, you get a filtered view of events, because you only get their viewpoints. Similarly, the digital gatekeepers in place at facebook and google (and other sites) will invisibly filter your information.

I may ask students to go to ideologically biased websites (http://www.breitbart.com/, http://www.newsmax.com/, http://www.foxnews.com/) as well as fair and balanced ones, and compare how various topics are covered.

I would have the students write one website they use per Post It. (I also would like them to write down the year the site was created. This way they can see the advancements and the time it took between each.) I would write on the board Web 1.0, Web 2.0, and Web 3.0. The students would then bring their Post Its up and place them under the category they think those websites belong. Once all the students have placed their Post Its on the board I will read them one by one and as a class we will decide whether or not that website is in the correct category. The student would then write about how technology will evolve in the future.

I will definitely use the Web 2.0 video as an intro. I would have students locate Web 2.0 and 3.0 sites and use them so they will understand how they work.

After we watch the Ted Talk video, I’m going to have the kids do a journal entry

“Reflecting on the Ted Talk that we just watched, is it important that we are involved in the creation of new technology rather than just being literate with new technology? Support your viewpoint with at least two examples.”

After the kids have had a chance to generate some ideas, we will have a class discussion about the importance of being involved in the development of new tech.

I will provide students with a worksheet filled with various questions that they must browse the internet and look for the answers to these questions.

I plan on using the scavenger hunt activity but with questions that are more relevant to my students. I also like the idea that someone mentioned about a “web diet”, basically have them document what they digested from the internet over a time period and analyze it.